Weird fire goby deaths

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ThaneF, 9 Nov 2010.

1. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi guys,

I have been running my nano for around 5 months now. I have got a 6 line wrasse (oldest in the tank) - a stunning regal (about 1 month and healthy, never even got white spot), two cleaner shrimp (growing at a rapid rate), some hermits and snails, sps, lps and softies in my tank all in my opinion looking good.

Bought two fire gobies on Sunday, dripped and put them into the tank. Fed the tank and they both ate like pigs. Got home yesterday and the one was missing - found it in the rock work been eaten by the hermits. Fed the tank and the remaining fire goby ate very well. Then today I got home and the other one is in the process of dying - not swimming and breathing very heavy.

I have checked my water paramaters:
    NO2: 0.1
    NO3: 0
    NH3/NH4+: 0
    SG: 1.023

Feeding: Frozen food thawed in purified water and rinsed before feeding.
    The 6 line and regal look fine with nothing looking wrong, does anyone have any idea as to what could be going on here? I really am confused and worried :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. durleo

durleo

The fish could have been sick before you bought it - It could also have been caught with cyanide in which case the fish die when we get them for no apparent reason. I dont think there is anything wrong with ur system. Did you not see the sixline bother or hound them?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A regal tang in a nano? How big is this "nano"? It is not advised to keep tangs in a tank smaller than a 1.2 (4ft) as they require lots of swimming space to be happy, even if small ;)

5. ThaneF

ThaneF Thread Starter

Hi durleo

Thanks for the response, it does make me feel a little better but not much. I didn't see the six line bash them while I was there but when I put the fish in, the six line did "show off" around them (fins up and strange swimming)... do you think that could be the problem?

Hi Tobes,

My "nano" is 130L, probable not the best of tanks for the regal but the fish looks really happy but right now, that isn't my biggest concern...

6. rakabos

rakabos

Agreed on the sick on arrival idea, has happened to many an aquarist.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud .... Lets put it this way .... Not to sound like a broken record but tangs do require alot of swimming space because of the way they swim ...... its a "kick, kick and glide" motion ..... Now heres the scenario ... your regal appear to be happy but remember his swimming style ... if he had no space to "kick, kick and glide" then somebody is going to get in his way and unfortunately this usually are the new comers as they would not have "their space" established .... I'm not saying this is for sure ... Ddurleo's option is also a very good possibility .... Just exploring all avenues and giving possible reasons ..... Are there any like nicks on the fish ... These are telltale signs of the regal showing his dominance by using his scalpel .....

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud .... Lets put it this way .... Not to sound like a broken record but tangs do require alot of swimming space because of the way they swim ...... its a "kick, kick and glide" motion ..... Now heres the scenario ... your regal appear to be happy but remember his swimming style ... if he had no space to "kick, kick and glide" then somebody is going to get in his way and unfortunately this usually are the new comers as they would not have "their space" established .... I'm not saying this is for sure ... durleo's option is also a very good possibility .... Just exploring all avenues and giving possible reasons ..... Are there any like nicks on the fish ... These are telltale signs of the regal showing his dominance by using his scalpel .....

9. Quintonv

Quintonv

@ Chikaboo did you intentionally post this twice. "not to sound like a broken record" ;)

10. ashley100

ashley100

i got a similar problem with a moorish idol 6 nw fish on the weekend and half an hour ago my moorish idol was sitting on his face put him in quarantine tank just gonna have to see what happens i guess and all other fish are cool weired

Recent Posts