Weird Creature

Reaction score
I was target feeding my seastar and heliofungia tonight. A creature crawled out the LR and grabbed a piece of the squid and retreaded back into its hole. It almost looked like a centipede, any ideas

Hi guys - no - the bristle worms are not poisenous - their "bristles" or hairs sting like crazy - just like thorns on some plants.....

They are good for the tank, as they usually eat detritus and left-over food. Funny to hear about one that would come out while you are feeding - were you feeding while all the lights was on? Or did you only have the actinics/moonlights on perhaps?

Hi guys - no - the bristle worms are not poisenous - their "bristles" or hairs sting like crazy - just like thorns on some plants.....

They are good for the tank, as they usually eat detritus and left-over food. Funny to hear about one that would come out while you are feeding - were you feeding while all the lights was on? Or did you only have the actinics/moonlights on perhaps?

Full Lights on, also the only way I would have seen such a small creature

The hairs hurt and are a real bugger to remove, so be careful, but as Jacques said, they are a very good - and free - member of the clean up crew.

I have a ton in my nano.

I've actually been "harvesting" them, 'cos they are getting bit big. I pulled a 3inch one out the other day with tweezers... Really horrible looking things!

I'm also a bit alergic to their "sting". But then again I'm alergic to most things in the aquarium, Blood worm included!

I touched one by accident once while moving some rocks. It only got the tip of my finger. It stung really bad & the tip of my finger got swollen. Then it burns & later itched like mad. After a day or so I got something that looks like a tiny blister (but it was hard) for each of the spots where a hair sting me. There was quite a few! Then finally the skin of my finger tips started to flake off.

I touched one by accident once while moving some rocks. It only got the tip of my finger. It stung really bad & the tip of my finger got swollen. Then it burns & later itched like mad. After a day or so I got something that looks like a tiny blister (but it was hard) for each of the spots where a hair sting me. There was quite a few! Then finally the skin of my finger tips started to flake off.

eeww.:err:

hectic detail..

I was target feeding my seastar and heliofungia tonight. A creature crawled out the LR and grabbed a piece of the squid and retreaded back into its hole. It almost looked like a centipede, any ideas

Grabbed as in fast? If so my my money is on a Mantis shrimp :)

Those worms are good for your system by eating all left over food and stuff, but beware - I heard too much feeding will make them multiply like crazy. Am I right all you experienced reefers?

Back
Top Bottom