Weird calcium reading?

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Tremayn, 10 Jun 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey guys. I tested my Calcium yesterday morning and it was 350. I started dosing bicarb and my alk went from 6.1 to 7.3 ... I tested calcium 5 times today (using a Salifert test) and I used the whole 1ml of liquid and it didnt turn blue :confused1: ..

Thinking maybe something was wrong with the test, I tested water from my salt water mixing tank and that test came out right. So whats happening with my tank water? I know it must be the bicarb that is affecting the test but why and how do I test my calcium? Thanks guys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I know that Tony had the same problem a while ago. Also with a salifert kit. Have you tried adding more than 1ml of the solution. It might just be a waste but if you add and it still does not change then there must be something wrong somewhere.

Also if you calcium was that high you should have experienced the snow effect due to precipitation.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I doubt my calcium is super high. I suspect that it has something to do with dosing bicarb

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

what is your tanks pH?

6. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Havnt a clue boet. Would this affect the test? Still need to get a ph test kit

7. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

ag!.. crapness.. my purple tang has a few spots on him also :dft004:

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

AYE sorry boet i feel ur pain hence me ensuring a 4 week QT minimum

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

not sure..but dosing bicarb will effect your pH, so you might want to keep an eye on it while dosing.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

haha yeah you felt the pain too much! At least I dont have many fish. Suddenly the calcium level doesnt matter lol.. Gonna be crappy to catch the fish though :dft004:

11. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I dosed the bicarb very slowly over two days so I dont think that the ph would spike dramatically ..

I quarantined the tang lekker, spot was gone but he got spot from the tank. Pretty sure on that. I never quarantined the other fish so I will be joining you in the farrow boat.. and what a sad boat it is .. :dft004:

Last edited: 10 Jun 2011
  12. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Sorry to hear Tremayn.

But before you know it, your fish will be healthy again :)
    Try leaving your tank fallow for about 8 weeks, its long but rather make sure WS is gone. During this period, you may have a moment to look at your ph and calcium and do other things. My tank has been running for 2 weeks fallow and there is always something to do while fish is in QT. Just be glad you dont have flukes and WS simultaneously.

Good luck mate!

13. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

i would suggest you leave the tang for now, if he is eating he will come right by himself.
    My regal gets a few spots every now and then, im assuming its from stress because it normally happens a day after me putting my hands in the tank too much, placing corals etc. but its normally only a few spots and it clears up a few days later.
    Is this possible that stress could cause a white spot outbreak???

if the white spot is in your tank there is no point in qt-ing just the purle you will have to qt all your fish until the white spot cycle has finished and its all dead.

14. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Posted via Mobile Device

15. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Been using bicarb for many years this will raise your ph unless you added a lot without knowing your volume it is hard to say. Kalkwasser will not raise your calcium level but rather maintain it I can guarantee that your calcium is still low. Get your water tested and if calcium is low I use tech grade calcium chloride flake. Add 4 table spoons to 2 Pitts tank water Coke bottle is fine and let it siphon into the tank with neoprene air hose. This will raise calcium in tank by about 10ppm or less each go. Do this until you get the correct level 420ppm. Once this is achieved continue to add your Kalk as this will help it to stop falling off. If you are doing 10 percent water changes weekly there is no need to worry about chloride build up . While you are it check your magnesium level as this must be first corrected let me know if you need hand I have uses salifert kits with no issues ican be that you are test with Kalk still heavy in tank solution. I can help Rob
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Thanks man.. I also have salifert kits.. The test kit is fine as I tested fresh made water and thats fine actually.. Will just let the tank run for a bit then will test again.. Where do you get calcium chloride from? Also looking for mag chloride also

17. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Sorry man
    My previous post should have read been using Bicarb for many years and it does not really raise your Ph not unless you use a lot. Let me give an example 1 x 5ml teaspon of Technical grade Sodium Bicarbonate will raise kh by approximatly 1 degree DKH in a 300litre tank 1025 specific gravity. Your Kh can drop from 9 to 6 overnight so therefore you will want to add the measured amount to your tank in the morning when the KH will be the lowest. I add in the morning and evening every day. I Keep my KH at 10+ KH and add 3 x 5ml teaspoons in the morning and in the evening. The Buffalo brand in your super market is fine this purpose. Even if you double this recipe you will not have any problems - There is nothing wrong with a High Kh in fact it is prefered with hard and SPS corrals as algae cannot tolerate high KH. even at a sustained KH of 15 degress DKH I not seen any change in PH.
    If you are not using a Calcium reactor there is no other way to keep your calcium up other than to use Calcium chloride.
    I am gonna upset a few retaillers right now but I have paid my dues and you dont have to be ripped off with the belief that you need to spend big bucks to keep your Calcium up by using latest gear or by purchasing suppliments that cost the earth - not that there is nothing wrong with tech but there is a way until you get there its called Calcium Chloride Technical grade 77 to 80% flake. You get it in 25kg bag will last you 2 years and costs R108.87 -Try Protea Chemicals Wadeville. I have noted a 10 ppm increase in calcium after dosing 5 table spoons in a 5litre bottle with fast drip using tank water. do this in the evening just before the lights go off. Dont panic you will not precipitate this product that easily and it wont have any effect on any of your tank occupants just so long as you mix it up in tank water solution and let it fast drip into your tank. Test after use and than you find the sweet spot on amount to add and when to add.
    The MG chloride is what you need to make to make everything work. If you want to know more about this just give me a shout.
    Good luck
    Reef Surg

18. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

So I should use the cal chloride to pick my cal up then use kalk to maintain my alk and cal? :) .. Cool after exams I will go to Protea chemicals

19. Tony

Tony

If you used the half test to get to the 350ppm I personally find the half test inaccurate as it's very difficuilt to measure a half spoon of the red reagent powder. I too doubted the test kit till I used one of those mega galactic Seachem test kits which gave me pretty much the same result. I dont know why your calcium has shot up except for the sudden increase in KH but leave it for a day or so and retest the calcium which you need to get up to 400-420ppm. If its too high then leave it to drop.

Also dont stress about a few white spots on your PT. Just feed them well about 3-4 times a day and it should be OK. My PT and regal get a few spots all the time which come and go but it never worsens as the animals are healthy

20. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

No Im not doing the half test, lol I did that at first and got some crazy results. Just doing the normal test. Yeah I will not dose any bicarb and then retest .. That should work

21. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

It just bugged me that the tang had spot again.. Sometimes the spot can get bad so I rather just make sure that the tank is WS free and the fish are WS free as in the future I will be getting an acanthurus and dont want to have to battle with spot with one of those :) .. ag but if after all of this and the tang gets spot again then Im going to leave it and will probably just get a regal and that will be the end of tangs for me

Recent Posts