Weird Angel behaviour

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by FransSny, 10 Aug 2012.

1. FransSny

FransSny

OK , this thread almost starts the same way I ended up on MASA a few years ago...except @crispin , no nennie was harmed during this episode

I added a large saddleback angel , regal and coral beauty to my FOWLR setup this afternoon at home.

The regal took a bit of strain and did the "lying on its side thing" (not the first time I have seen this with larger specimens), breathing was normal etc though...after a few minutes , the saddleback (huge) swam over and "sat / hovered" on top of the regal for about a minute and then swam away.

Within about 5 seconds the regal picked himself up and started swimming around ?

Anyone with an explanation ...or do I have a paramedic in the tank :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Has he done it more than once...? I'm asking as I would love to see a video clip of it...:blush:

4. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Belinda, he has been hanging around the wole time, weird..... Itook a vid but being in the sticks with a hectic wind makes uploading pics almost impossible as we connect wireless and it just times
    out,

As soon as i can i will.

@ianP having same issue sending youthe pics bud, if they dont gotonight i willsend tomorrow when at an ADSL line

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cool .... would this not be instinctive behaviour like how clowns oxygenate the eggs by "blowing" fresh water with their fins over them ..... Natures compassionate "paramedic" .... Very true .....

6. crispin

crispin

As much as I love the 'romantic' idea of it being a helping gesture I personally think its most likley a dominace display by the sadle back which made the regal uncomfortable and thus he swam off a short while later. I dont think its an O2 issue as fish dont recover that fast from depleted oxygen (under a minute).

how about a pic (wind permitting) of the sadle back, always been one of my fav angels, especially if you got a big unn:)

7. Hill

Hill

Bodyslides are known to be theraputic.........lol:blush:

8. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You mean saddleback butterfly? Butterflies often reverse and wiggle their fins to fish they don't particularly like or aren't sure about. If they really don't like something they'll point their dorsal spines at it too.

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanx LB, I was wondering if it might be a territory or @ crispin, dominance issue.

They were fine in the shop holding tanks together but i brought them home as i want to move the holding tank.....maybe the change of scenery?

@ crispin we measured 72 km's gusts with average ongoing speed 45kms per hour....even blacberry wasnt working at one stage :lol:

10. crispin

crispin

you chose to live there :)

Recent Posts