Week 5 of Cycling and parameters

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Zahed, 28 Sep 2010.

1. Zahed

Zahed

Hi All

Firtsly thanks for all the help. My tank is in the fifth week of cycling and these are my parameters.

pH 8.5
    KH 10
    NH4 0.5
    NH3 0.08
    NO2 0
    NO3 50
    PO4 1
    Cu 0
    Ca 460
    Temp 26
    SG 1.02

Subsequent to the test I have done a 10% water change (with my new RO as feed stock). I have noticed a green plant now thriving and my soft polyps on the live rock are increasing in their brilliance and populations are beginning to increase. I also have litlle tenatacles (3 - 5) growing out of the live rock white and black rings. Please advise as to what these may be ?

Please advise on how to futher reduce the P04 and NO3.Will take photos and post tonight.

Thanks and all your advice is much appreciated.

Last edited: 28 Sep 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zahed

Zahed Thread Starter

Please advise

:peroni::whistling:

4. zayd

zayd

Time. Be patient. Have you got your skimmer running and all liverock in?

5. maj

maj

what test kits are u using?
    think ur params need to settle abit still,2 more weeks could set u straight.
    Are u using seachem stability

6. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Nice! Like has been said, give it a little more time to settle in. This hobby certainly does test ones patience. Also, the little tentacles may be brittle star legs. I have the same things growing in my rock and I've seen the stars moving on the rock as well...

7. Zahed

Zahed Thread Starter

Hi all

Thanks for all the feedback. I am really excited and the LFS guy agreed to take my Boyu back and I have replaced it with a 5 ft with sump (3 stage +skimmer) and some really nifty T5's.

So on Friday after 6 weeks of cycling my Boyu, I transffered and bought more live rock. I also transffered all my substrate and added 2 bags of aragonite as the base. As I was transfeering my substrate I found 5 brittle stars, 1 crab and 1 worm (colourful).

I then topped up with mature water ( 100 l from my tank, 200 l from the LFS and the remainder RO water).
    Protein skimmer sump with live rock, aragonite, floss, bio balls, ceramic rings and phosphate pad all running as well.
    So here goes the advise required. Do I have to cycle for another 6-8 weeks ? I am going to test all my parameters tomorrow which should give me a basic understanding of where I am.

I am excited so all your advice on what to stock and how long to cycle is invaluable ?

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Check your salinity to make sure it is in the correct range.
    Your test kits will tell you this, but if you have bought more rock then you may have a mini-cycle, depending on the quantity and quality of the rock, but test every 2 days or so and you should get an idea if your ammonia or nitrite levels are increasing or not.

9. Pete

Pete

Agree with viper357

Recent Posts