Week 4

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Cgoodburn, 15 Jul 2011.

1. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn

I have just installed an ozonizer to help with my algae problem, My tank has cycled with all water parameters back 0. Tank is looking good.
    Added a FOXFACE as my first fish, he is looking really good. in addition i added a Blue Mushroom coral, i think this is the correct name for it.
    i do need some advice on my Green Star polyp which has not opened for the last day and a half. It looks to be healthy with bright purple all over. I have read through some previous postings, and it seems as though sometimes this happens when they DETOX, can anyone add anything to this. I will watch and keep you posted.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Braco

Braco

What is your current water parameters like..Ph..Kh..Ca..Mg..ect...and what lights do you have T8 or T5 or MH...?
    Is there direct current over them...they don't like strong current medium is fine..where are they situated...on your substrate...medium or high up in the tank..?
    Please advise..?
    We need to look at various situations why they not opening up...i lost a big rock of green star polyps not knowing certain aspects of it's nature..i wouldn't want you to make the same mistake as i did..;)

4. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn Thread Starter

Green Star polyp

Thanks for coming back to me. When i last checked water which was on the weekend all was fine. I did change the location of the polyp to a lower flow. my wife just sent me a photo which shows that it is about 80% open. It os located toward the middle of the tank on some life rock. by moving it back a little it now has lees flow. Will check parameters when i get back from Cape Town tonight. thanks for the advice.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

How long have the star ployps been in the tank?
    They can take awhile to adjust to a new tank.

6. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn Thread Starter

Green Star polyp

Has been in the tank for about 2 weeks now, was open for the first period then closed on Saturday. Was closed for about 4 days.

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Star polyps can close for a long time.. Mine does love iodine dosing

8. Cgoodburn

Cgoodburn Thread Starter

Green Star polyp

Great news, my green star polyp has opened 100% (4days c;osed) and is looking great. The algae has been cleared about 80%, by the Foxface. So all is looking good in my tank. Thanks to everyone for advice and ideas, it all helps.
    What i have realised as a NOOB, is that MASA is a fantastic forum filled with people who are willing to help fellow mariners. What is also reassuring is that whatever I go through someone else in MASA has experienced before. one could never do this alone. thanks everyone

Recent Posts