Wazzzuuuuppp!!!

Reaction score
Howzit guys, names Dylan, I'm new here and very interested in this marine aquarium thing....
So here's the story, I have had and built tropical fish tanks since I was a wee whipper snapper, Ive now just moved into my new place and while unpacking boxes that have been in storage for 2 years I stumbled across my little JEBO R338 aquarium and thought to myself... "self lets make a marine tank to add to all our other hobbies" and this life changing decision has lead me here, to the mercy of all the super smart marine dudes and dudettes who's knowledge I would like to infiltrate. So lets start the noob bashing and let me become your apprentice ;)

Ok so I have a standard issue JEBO R338 aquarium with gravelly stone things in it... Its got the standard pump and filter that's in the hood with 2 fluorescent lights and a heater... there's no water as yet... more of a desert than a fish tank at the moment, which is obviously no condusive to healthy fish.

I am obviously very, very, VERY new to this, so where do I start? what do I need to change? I'm assuming that filling the tank with water and giving a few turns on the salt crusher isn't going to cut it...

I wait in anticipation for the forthcoming onslaught, in the meantime I am going to be making friends with google.

Thanks in advance guys :m106:

As @TaahirS said, you will basically need everything.
Lights, skimmer, wave makers etc.
Why not just ditch the tank you have, and build one suited for marine with the correct overflow and a sump. After all, the actual glass tank is the cheapest thing in this hobby, its the rest of the stuff you need that costs money.
Why not browse the for sale section, some nice complete units go on sale often.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had thought of going that route and buying a new purpose built tank, but I have seen one like mine setup for marine and looked really nice/sleak, I enjoy tinkering and trying new thing and most of all learning so I don't really want to just buy someone elses tank and it just "works" without me knowing how, my plan is to eventually have a bigger better more amazing tank, but for now I want to learn with my little one.

Welcome....I think you can have a nice little tank running without spensing to much money. I just googled the tank. looks like a little boyu or similar. Im not familiar with all inner working of the tank but you can get a away with adding a heater, a small wavemaker . Might just need to do regular water changes to keep things in check. I did run a 4ft very successfully without a skimmer for over a year. Just do your homework carefully before adding corals. And you will aslo be limited to wich fish you can add.

Give the hobby a try and see if you like it. Then you can decide if you wanna go bigger or not.

Welcome to MASA!
Those smaller tanks can be challenging and do limit what you can keep....but ive seen some really nice marine tanks that size.
You could keep it as is and rely on water changes as your main source of filtration/nutrient export. Even adding macro algae to the setup.
Keep it simple with a few softies and a shrimp or two. Being that small i personally woulndt add any fish, perhaps a cl,own goby or small damsel could be ok.

masahello
First and foremost, read up on the basics:
- cycling a tank
- why you need to top up with RO water instead of adding more salt
- why you should not add tap water to your tank
Just note, there are other ways to start up a tank but as you are new the best way to learn the workings of the tank is to follow a more traditional method until you get to grips with everything :)

If you are going to do a coral as well as fish, include a search on which parameters are important to keep them healthy.

And ask lots of questions if something does not make sense, the community here is great and will assist with any question you may have :)

Hello and welcome

I am obviously very, very, VERY new to this, so where do I start?
You start here right on this forum.
Can check out the nano tank subforum for ideas. But as mentioned, maybe go for a purpose build tank.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome :thumbup:
I plan to be do a lot of reading, I'm kinda headstrong and when I get an idea in my head I stick with it (probably why I'm divorced) which is why I want to stick with this tank for now. I have no idea what I even want to keep in it, yet, which is why I will be doing a lot of reading and learning which in my opinion is the best part of a hobby like this, "If don't learn something new everyday, you are wasting away"

In this hobby the more I read the more confused I got. There are so much to take in and learn that it get a bit overwhelming. But the secret Is ask questions before attempting something.

Thanks guys for the warm welcome :thumbup:
I plan to be do a lot of reading, I'm kinda headstrong and when I get an idea in my head I stick with it (probably why I'm divorced) which is why I want to stick with this tank for now. I have no idea what I even want to keep in it, yet, which is why I will be doing a lot of reading and learning which in my opinion is the best part of a hobby like this, "If don't learn something new everyday, you are wasting away"

Welcome to Masa Dyls,

If you are intent on keeping the Jebo, you will need to do some modifications to make it suitable for marine.
As RiaanP mentioned, why not have a look at the nano tank section for some insights and ideas. You're welcome to browse my thread on my old Boyu TL450 tank. It will give you some ideas as to modifactions, equipment which you would need and things to take heed of. You'll find the link in my signature line

Small tanks can be very rewarding indeed, but they also come with some downsides in terms of stability etc. Notwithstanding this, IMO this is a great way to "cut your teeth" and learn as you go along.

Keep us updated on your progress, and good luck.:)

you can drill through the back , add a external "sump" with a heater , matrix stones , maxi-zorb carbon and phosgaurd and you can run it with out a skimmer , send me a private message with your number and ill send you the step by step pics of how to do the conversion , lool into the small zetlight led range for lighting or google improved living in PE and talk to them about a DIY kit

Back
Top Bottom