Ways to remove Aiptasia?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Express Reef, 12 Feb 2012.

1. Express Reef

Express Reef

How do you deal with aptasia?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Search MASA, allot of threads on this topic. I think a golden rule is to kill them as soon as possible! They multiply fast, so rather start now and continue till they are all gone!

I had such a outbreak that i shut my tank and placed 100 kg's of LR in the sun!!

Good luck with the battle!

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

There are many ways to try and deal with Aiptasia...what works for the one...might not work for the other...either way...it still remains a PEST...
    Aiptasia

[​IMG]

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=24259

Aiptasia - my experiences - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Aiptasia *dum dum dummmmm* - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Aiptasia Infestation counter measures - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 12 Feb 2012
  5. erratiC

erratiC

I love to AiptasiaX the little bastards and to see them give off that last squirt/implosion before they're just about to die.. mmm, makes me feel all giddy and triumphant inside.. !

mandarinman likes this.
  6. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

For me Aiptasia_X is awesome but be careful of other corals around the dosage point. I have found a few of my polyps have come into contact with the solution and died as well as the Aiptasia :(

Another route but not guarenteed is natural predators. I know of Peppermint Shrimp which have a taste for the smaller Aiptasia. This is not 100% accurate as each shrimp has different tastes. Hopefully if you get a few one might like the taste :thumbup:

There is also a fish which eats Aiptasia. Think its a type of "file fish". I stand to be corrected :blush:

7. Mc

Mc

AptasiaX works really well the one problem with it is I find it hard to get to all the aptasia with it.
    I had a bit of a problem with them and I got some peppermint shrimp and I have never seen one since that, but alot of people say there peppermint shrimp didn't want to touch there aptasia.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I used AiptasiaX previously with mixed results. Its sush as good feeling seeing them disolve and blow up. But be careful. Button polyps and Zoa also die if AiptasiaX fall on them. But I had small ones returning on the spot where they died. Must me thast the root area was not 100% affected.

Used with better result just plain white vinegar, cheap Spar bottle. Just use small needle and inject them. Works a lot faster than AiptasiaX and excess or wasted is not an problem. They disolve immediatly. And somnetimes even just fall off the rock, completely. But beware, vinegar is a method of dosing. Only 1ml per day per 100L. For first 4 days, then you double up to 2ml per day per 100L. It also helps in combating cayno. But check your tank. Filter feeders like sponges and squirts might not like the dosing regime.

So before heading of to Spar, read up more on dosing, either Vodka or vinegar.

9. IMarine

IMarine

Hi there aiptasia x does work well,i second with what RiaanP says where corals are concern they could die and as damage them,what i do with my clients is,i will use aiptasia x and then do a water change,the best way is to switch off all pumps,zap them and coat the rock with some more aiptasia x ,leave it for about 30 mins then do your water change,with this method i have killed off 100s of them,but pls on every water change inspect your tank for aiptasia and kill them,1 aiptasia spreads like crazy to 100s,and another word of advice after you have done your water change always buff ph as i found with aiptasia x it could very rare drop the ph in your tank

10. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I have built a 'Zapper' @ the time when it was discussed regularly on the forum. By the time the Zapper was ready to be tested all aiptasia had disappeared somehow and it never had a chance to prove itself.

About a month ago-here I see a lone aiptasia on one of the rocks and I pulled the zapper out for its first test. It was quite spectacular-in half a second the aiptesia disintegrated.

11. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Red seas aiptasia x is calcium hydroxide with a glorified label...

12. Arries

Arries

Syringe with boiling water worked everytime for me...kills the pests instantly....:thumbup:

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If you only have a few, use any of the methods suggested above. Ie calcium hydroxide, vinegar, aiptasiaX, joe's juice etc. They all work if you can reach the aiptasia with your syringe. If you have a crazy infestation, most of the local butterflies will flatten them in a short time. They will however also eat most corals with tentacles. Don't attempt control with a copperband butterfly, as they are fish that can only be kept by the most experienced aquarirts.

14. Tremayn

Tremayn

I found that the aiptasia come back with a force when I used hot water

15. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

dude, ive seeen some big aiptasia, like 25cm in you need to burn the polyp with chems, to stop it spreading

16. thedove

thedove

getting rid of aiptasia

just thought i would add this that i found on the net about aiptasia and how to get rid of it The Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranch slug theres a video of one having a good munch on them and the site tells you how many you need for getting rid of the aiptasia hope this helps anyone heres the link http://www.saltyunderground.com

:peroni: till your problems are gone:1:

17. Tremayn

Tremayn

@Mudshark so things like torches are out or all lps?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Berghia Nudibranch ship very poorly, die easily, and are not available.

The guys overseas who have some, also have problems keeping a sustainable colony. No more aiptasia and they all die. Also very small and get lost in a big tank. That is if nothing eats them. Best is to keep them in a system as a cleaning station. Although they sound like the best option out there.

Also found that butterfly fish tends to nip the aiptasia, preventing them from coming out. Remove that fish and the aiptasia are all back within 2 weeks.

Chemical is just as risky. You need to make sure you affect the base of the anemone. Else they come back very quickly in numbers.

19. Jeann1

Jeann1

So... The best way then to get rid of them is? i need serious control, break out is getting bad now

20. brendanpre

brendanpre

:014::76::hang::16::70::hammer::gun_bandana::death::gunsmilie::48::gun_bandana::hang:killkanga:2guns::25::79::tomcat::kangakiller:

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

Start somewhere ! It is a long process. every day treat the ones you see until one day you see em no more . go with a chemical treatment. animals can only eat so much. if you dont start uou will never get rid of them. and stop feeding brine shrimp if you are cos aptasia thrive on em

Recent Posts