Ways to increase surface area of DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Stressed Eric, 30 May 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi all, from looking at previous posts my DSB surface area is waaaaaay too small, 32x25 cm . . . Giving a grand total of under 800 square cm, where the recommended minimum is closer to 1500 for my system. My question is . . . What lighting requirements are there for a DSB ? Why I ask is from an idea i've had with making a "double decker" DSB, I intend using 2 trays in my sump, one above the other and each close on 15cm deep - the flow will balance between these two trays and between both I'll get to my magic 1600 square cm - the only loose end is lighting, obviously the bottom tray will be in the dark - I don't think it will impact the anaerobic bacteria but will certainly knock the noo-noo's that scurry around. What are your thoughts, could it work ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Light is only a requirement if you keep macro algae in your DSB tank. The dark level will be great for sponges and similar "non-light" loving creatures.

Can't see any problems with the basic idea. just make sure you have enough flow

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree, if you do have an unlit DSB you will be amazed at the amount of extra life that will grow in there.

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hey, that's actually a very good idea :thumbup:

Just keep the following in mind:

• The bottom and sides of the top compartment must be water tight, as you do not want any water to flow through the DLSB.
    • The top compartment must be removable, to allow you to access the bottom compartment, as detritus will tend to accumulate there, and will need to be siphoned off every year or so.
    • Place a fine mesh of sorts across the opening leading to the bottom compartment, to prevent larger animals (snails) and large pieces of detritus from becoming stuck in the bottom compartment.
    As Warr said, it will become a nice place for sponges to grow. Google "cryptic zone" for more info...

Hennie

6. sihaya

sihaya

Ditto Hennie and Warr's comments... BUT, while this might work in theory (so long as the sand bed/s are all deep enough), I do think it's going to get awfully messy and annoying real fast (especially doing it in your sump).

Any reason you don't want to just add a remote DSB?

Recent Posts