Wave Makers and tank strength.

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by martin, 26 Aug 2009.

1. martin

martin Reef Adict

Don't know if this has been discussed as yet??

Say a 2m x 700mm x 700mm is built in 12mm glass and this is a comfortable thickness glass for that size.

But now I add a wave maker surely that comfort zone of 12mm glass diminishes drastically - surely one would start thinking of thicker glass?? - expecially if the wave is pushing huge amounts of water to and frow.

Comments or a referal to the previous thread please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

if prosperly braced it will be fine. uncle tunze's is 800 Deep with 12 mm and is sturdy. just make sure all the silicon bonds are good and your stand can take the shifting weight
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

its a tricky one as there are many factors to consider.. tank construction WRT bracing, stand construction, floor its positioned on (wood vs concrete) and the overall sway that the intended wavemaker will cause.. thicker glass is always an asset where the possibility of breakage is concerned..

5. Noodles

Noodles

I'm busy with my 1600x800x800 and the fish shop also said 12mm but i thought to go thicker, what do you think????

Recent Posts