Wave box and overflow design

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Hammerhead, 16 Mar 2012.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi,

I recently purchased a 6206 Nano Wave Box with a 6091 Controller. I havent tried it yet as my tank is still not up and running.

After speaking to @George he told me it works best with a centre over flow box as the oscilating currents creates the lowest point in the centre of the tank.

My current tank has C2C design on the rear panel with the idea of doing the bean animal overflow concept. I have not stuck on the internal overflow box in yet as I wanted some feed back as to the workings of this on my tank first.

Will the oscilating current cause the level in the overflow to change periodically?
    Seeing as the bean animal is based on a suction will this fluctuate causing my sump level to not remain constant thereby rendering any ATO useless?

Can the nano wave box be positioned against the rear panel under the C2C overflow box which will be 150 mm belo the surface, will this inhibit the perfomance of the wave box thus reducing the wave crests and will ultimately just perform as a random current being so low in the tank.

The booklet says the immersion depth can be approx 180mm. is this below the water surface when swithed of or below the wave crest?

Sorry for the questions, I know i could just try it, but id rather not and be able to sell it as new and get turbelle stream pumps instead.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

1.Yes it will fluctuate but over a time period of +- 1 second mybe even less depending on your wave timing
    2.The fluctuations in levels will stabalise but the time it reaches your return chamber which is where you should have your ato switch
    3. Your wave box needs to be placed either left or right side panel to get waves left to right to left. if you want waves moving front to back to front you place it on the back pane. (idol marine had a display tank with a C2C skinny overflow with Tunze wave box worked great!)
    4. depth befor it is switched on i belive

4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

Thanks, Yes I would position so i could get left to right waves. Would it be fine if its under the overflow box though against the back panel but flowing accoss the length.

Only one setup would i know for sure I guess :(

5. butcherman

should be fine, remeber its about the timimg of the wave rather than the power.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

butcherman pretty much covered it just make sure your tank is constructed to be able to handle the pressure on the seams.. :)

7. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

ok thanks guys...will put it to the wet test shortly and hope it survives.

8. Anita

Anita Sponsor

It looks like the Butcherman has come to the rescue again, quite correct on all the questions. However, I do think the performance will be compromised to a certain extent by the C2C overflow. Thanks Butcherman for being so knowledgeable on the TUNZE range, regards George

9. butcherman

It's easy to when you have such a great product range.

Agreed, A center overflow would be optimal, but you can get wave action with C2C.

Recent Posts