Waterflow through pvc pipe scaping?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dorry_, 10 Oct 2010.

1. Dorry_

Dorry_

Hi Everyone!
    I have just started my 300 liter marine tank. The scaping of the live rock I did by building a structure of 32mm pvc pipe. To keep it from being boyant and for water to flow through I drilled holes in the pipes. The tank has been cycling for 1 week now and the algae is growing like crazy.
    To my horror, a seasoned reefer told me that I made a big mistake by drilling holes in the piping. Apparently the water will become stale inside the pipes which could pose massive problems in future. His advice was to connect a small pump with plastic tubing into the structure to get adequate waterflow through the piping system.
    Could you please advise whether this is necessary and some advice as to what I should do? Attached a photo of the structure.

Greetings

Helga:(

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JAM

JAM

Sorry abit off the subject here but wow! That scaping looks amazing!!! How did u secure your rock to the structure? The pump connected to the structure would be a great idea if you could get the astetics rite. Depending on how many holes you drilled you'd get great waterflow arround your rock.

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I canĀ“t see any picture!

5. JAM

JAM

Lucky look at my photos under dorrys name

6. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Here you go! It does look indeed very good. Do you have a bigger picture?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Oct 2010
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a small pump, once a day for a few minutes will be great. and a few months and you will not notice any blue sticking out anywhere.

I'm thinking in the same lines for my tank re-build. Will be running a pump on a timer. Only issue is to check that the pump rotor will not strip itself if switched on and off daily. Had that problem on a skimmer pump way back. And that is also why I do not switch my skimmer off while feeding anything, although a lot of guys do advice that.

8. Dorry_

Dorry_ Thread Starter

Thanks you Guys! Wright..... I am going to reveal now that I (a woman) built that structure all by my lonesome. My hubby and I built a similar thing with a crate and some white pvc piping. And off course as it always happens, as soon as he packs up and goes off (he works away from home) the hole structure tumbles. So, the monday morning I was stuck with a full 300l tank with live rock tied to a heep with cable ties. So, I did what any "good" wife would do, say nothing to hubby and race to town and buy some high pressure 32mm pipe (the type they use for irrigation) and lots and lots of bends and t-pieces. Started the construction about 11:00 and went to bed 01:00 that next morning.
    The live rock I drilled holes in and tide it to the pipes with cable ties. You should have seen hubbies face when he arrived the Friday thereafter. (of course I did not say a word - you know you guys can stress over nothing!!!).
    About the waterflow - there are holes over the whole structure as much as I could fit in on each section of pipe. Do you think the water would flow through these holes or should I connect a small pump to the structure. Apparently the water becomes rotton inside the pipes and your live rock and coral can die. What to do?

Greetings

Helga

:thumbup:

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Job well done. :thumbup:
    What was his reaction?

10. Q89

Q89

Wow!! that looks fantastic!! My brain just into overdrive with the idea!!

11. Dorry_

Dorry_ Thread Starter

Hubbie is used to me "handling" things at home. His been working away from home for some time, so he "half expects" me to handle the crisis' at home. And he reckons it keeps me busy and out of mischief. Actually no, I enjoy being involved in everything we do together.
    So do you guys think I have a problem with the water in the pipes?

12. JD167

JD167

Hi Dorry

Great scaping there! As for the stale water in the pipes, like RiaanP said, connect a pump to the pipe structure and put it on a timer. Make sure you can acces the pump easily in case something brakes. The flow through the pipes and holes you drilled will also help with random flow.

13. Dorry_

Dorry_ Thread Starter

Waterflow

Will definitely attach a small pump to the structure with some tubing into the hole. I will put the pump where I can get hold of it easily and where it can be out of sight.

Will try and post a few more pics as the "process" continues. Must say, I am extremely chuffed with my creation.

We started this "hobby" in September 2010, and are now the proud owners of a Boyu 550 that is fully stocked and going strong. After we bought the Boyu in September we realised we should have bought a bigger tank. Well..... now were hooked. This is a fatal hobby. Its crazy!

:slayer:

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

do not put the pump in the sump. Will syphon the tank when power goes out.

What is your overflow box like? Maybe put pump in there, if you can.

Recent Posts