Waterchanges

seank

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
This is a thread that I want to start (and not encourage anyone to do it as such) regarding the maximum time period between waterchanges you had thus far.

Meaning:

1.)What is the longest time period that someone with a well established coral reef went without a waterchange????.

2.)And did you see a positive or negative response to the coral growth???

joe

Damsel
Reaction score
A month is my longest between changes ,If i could just add that i do weekly water changes but when i am lazy and i miss a week or 2 , i cant help but notice that my corals and fish look healthier and more vibrant.

brentnorm

Foxface
Reaction score
My tank is now a year old and I have still not done a single water change. All inmates are doing just fine.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
about 3 months while i was overseas.. only had someone top up... with a saline mix 1/2 salt 1/2 freshwater with antichlor... all went well and corals were very expanded when i got back.. did a water change and they gained better colour with NSW. changes... specifically referring to frogspawns here...

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My tank is now a year old and I have still not done a single water change. All inmates are doing just fine.
Surely you replace all the trace elements that get used up? And what do you add in?

marine101

Damsel
Reaction score
I havent done a water change for the past 3 months, been very busy. Will do one next week though! Technically nothing has died, but its easy to c that the inhabitents dont have that marine sparkle, they look a bit like fresh water lol. I definately wont repeat this experience!

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Longest I have gone is 10 days.

My corals don't like it if they don't get their regular 10% WC. I also notice the "horrible" Water parameters rise pretty quickly at day 10.

Storm

Chromis
Reaction score
I know of FO systems with NO LR. Which have been heavy stocked running for over 2 years with no water changes and hardly any losses. As for a Reef my longest was 2 months. Once you do a large water change I have noticed corals extra-ordinarely extend themselves (Only when water changes are performed). This must be some sort of re-aclimatazation they go through?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Once you do a large water change I have noticed corals extra-ordinarely extend themselves (Only when water changes are performed). This must be some sort of re-aclimatazation they go through?
Can also be due to detritus being stirred up, have seen with corals when I blaster the reef with a PH or turkey baster.

martin

Reef Adict
Reaction score
5 mths but did add suppliments -iodene, strontium, ca, mg, trace.
All corals did fine and other livestock aswell.
I do believe though that 10% a month should be a min with add of above suppliments.

gaz19

Wrasse
Reaction score
about 8 months or more, still havent done one yet. i dose iodene, strontium and mag.
CArx to care of the rest.
didnt see any negative effects,

brentnorm

Foxface
Reaction score
I do add suplements on a regular basis ie iodine, strontium, calcium, reef carbonate and reef plus.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I still believe in regular water changes simply because it happens in the ocean on a daily basis. We're too busy and it costs too much to do daily, so the next best thing is weekly - that's what I do anyway, 10% every week.

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Longest I have gone is 10 days.

My corals don't like it if they don't get their regular 10% WC. I also notice the "horrible" Water parameters rise pretty quickly at day 10.
Warren, what params do you measure, and how bad do they get?

The reason I ask is that I've not done many water changes recently, but my params are still fine (NO3 = 0.0, PO3=0.05). Even so, I have a horrible hair algae problem, and can see when my corals need a water change (every two weeks or so).

Q

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Warren, what params do you measure, and how bad do they get?

The reason I ask is that I've not done many water changes recently, but my params are still fine (NO3 = 0.0, PO3=0.05). Even so, I have a horrible hair algae problem, and can see when my corals need a water change (every two weeks or so).

Q
My Nitrates level start increasing and then comes the algae.