Waterc flow

shane

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking at installing a CLS on to my 4 foot tank,it will be connected to my oceansmotion 4 way. I was thinking of using a 6500 l/hour pump for this CLS, would this be to much flow for this tank(1.2 x 0.5 x 0.45) (l x w x d) The next question everyone will ask is what type of corals do I want to keep, well I am a novice at reef tanks but would like some hardy soft corals as well as some lps corals. Also return pump from sump will be around 3000 l/hour, any ideas.
Cheers

shane

Chromis
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the input. I am hoping to get things going soon.Just a problem in that I use the work pc and they dont allow photo bucket which is blocked by web sense so I need to find another route to post my tank progress.
Cheers

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the input. I am hoping to get things going soon.Just a problem in that I use the work pc and they dont allow photo bucket which is blocked by web sense so I need to find another route to post my tank progress.
Cheers
you can use our uploader:) on the tool bar find VB image host and upload the piccies there, once uploaded, just copy and paste the code and it will appear.

As for easy care softies, look at zoas, mushrooms, maybe toadstools

shane

Chromis
Reaction score
Thanks Wee-man,
I will look into that,Do you think that the proposed flow in the tank is not to strong?
Cheers

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Wee-man,
I will look into that,Do you think that the proposed flow in the tank is not to strong?
Cheers
difficult to say, but the head loss through a cls is much higher than just an open pipe return, you may find that by increasing the outlets you have (right at the start) will decrease the pressure of the jets and have much calmer flow.

But 6500 lts per hour will give you a tank flow of 24x per hour which is about right