Water volume and wavemakers

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HOT SAUCE, 15 Jun 2014.

1. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi all

this is something that I have been experiencing for a long time and although its not something that is life threatening to my system I would just like to get better understanding of.

my tank is a 1.2 x 0.45 x 0.53 and with the sump it holds approximately 300 liters of water. I have two wavemakers... a mp10 and another one rated for 13000 lph (not sure of the make). when I feed my fish I switch both wavemakers off because I feed directly in front of the wave makers and don't want the food to get blown all over the tank. now the interesting part.. when I switch off the wave makers the water in the return chamber in the sump drops by about 2-3 centimeters which is equivalent to about 3-4 liters causing my ATU to strategy dumping RO water ... when I switch the wave makers back on the water goes back to its normal levels. the irritating part is that I have to switch my ATU off during feeding to prevent it from filing up fresh water and affecting the salinity in my system.

does anyone know why this happens and with and what can be done about it.. I do t mind switching the ATU off but most of the time I forget to switch it back on causing the water level in my sum to eventually drop even further ...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I've experienced similar, I suppose the flow pumps naturally push more water thru the overflow and by turning them off, the water rate decreases thereby lowering the level in your sump. I don't turn off the flow pumps anymore, like watching the feeding frenzy at meal time...

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

What can be done? I think if you add a ball valve or gate valve to your over flow, you can control the flow at most times or you can lower the sensor of your ATU. You'll need to play around with it until you get it right.

5. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0

Maybe just put the atu and the other controller on the same switch/plug?

Last edited: 15 Jun 2014
  6. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

...or don't turn off your power heads. Your Fish might enjoy the realistic movements of the food being pushed by the current.

Recent Posts