Water Turnover?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Breakwall Diver, 28 Jul 2010.

1. Breakwall Diver

Breakwall Diver

Hey All

Can anyone advise how many times my tank should be turning over? :confused1:

I've got a 4ftX2ftx2ft tank with a large sump, roughly 500 litres together.

I intend keeping corals and fish.

At the moment I'm running a Eheim 1250 & Rio powerhead (unknown size) for return and this seems to be a bit slow?

I intend getting a Ocean Runner 6500, do you think this would do the job?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Breakwall Diver - I would say that this depends on what you want to keep. If you are looking at a mixture of fish, soft-corals and SPS, then I would say that your in-tank water turn-over should be between 15000 and 20000 liters per hour.

If soft-corals and LPS corals, I would say between 5000 and 10000 liters per hour.

4. brettb2020

brettb2020

for return flow or dt flow?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Breakwall Diver

Breakwall Diver Thread Starter

This is for return, from sump to tank.

6. Breakwall Diver

The Eheim 1250 only pushes mild current back into the tank, can hardly feel it.

7. jacquesb

Oops - sorry Breakwall Diver..... my mistake.

8. brettb2020

brettb2020

lol jacques thought 20000l was a bit bit hectic for return flow :) haha.

Id say at least 2500lph for return.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

You dont want the the return to be the main flow in the tank, that is why people use flow pumps for flow in the tank, with a 6500L/ph return pump the water will be moving through sump at higher than optimal speed.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i recomend OR3500 for return, i use one and its perfect.. not too much noise and enough fow.. i have another 2 on my CLS which i was running 24/7 without hassle aswell..

i have put my CLS off due to me now running 4 x MP40w vortech's but still use the CLS to flush the back prior to a water change.

11. jacquesb

Hi Breakwall Diver - for your return pump I concur with Brett. You do NOT need to go anything bigger than a 2500 liter per hour. For a 500 liter tank, you can actually go to 1000 to 1500 liters per hour.

12. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

Hi Guys,

While we're on the topic, sorry to jump on your bandwagon Breakwall.. BUT, for a 1000L tank is a Hailea 6550 enough flow for return? head from sump to DT is about 1.2m

13. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Remember that for return flow you want as much water contact time with your Skimmer, DSB and other chemical filtration methods as possible. Thus the weaker the return flow the better! But this is where you need to find the balance between how big your sump is compared to your tank.

If you have a large sump with a nice long DSB, the flow can be increased slightly. If youhave a small sump and DSB the flow should in essance be decreased to cater for more contact time. I hope this makes sense!?!:wave2:

By just looking at the volume of water at 500l you should thearetically use a 2500l/per hour pump, but in my experience so far a 1000litre per hour pump will do just perfect!!;)

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  14. Allen

Allen

Is there any way to calculate the needed return flow between a X size tank with a X size sump should be?

Last edited: 28 Jul 2010
  15. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

I don't think that there is such a calculater..:p Personally the 5 times turnover of tank volume calcualtion has never worked for me. I soon realized that it's not how many times your water goes through the sump, but rather water replacement via, in-tank circulation combined with the return of the sump.

Here at our shop we have found that the tanks with the weaker return pumps, are our healthiest systems, while the systems calculated to the T, are not as healthy. You basically want your water to have as much contact time with your sump as possible but need to find the balance between letting the water flow to quickly vs to slowly.

I would recommend that you stick to the "known calculation of 5 times water turnover per hour and get your selves a ball valve from your local plumbing store. You can then restrick the water movement and this thus enables you to play around with the return flow.

You then just need to find the perfect flow for your sump and tank!:thumbup:

16. Allen

Allen

Ah wow! Thanks so much! Makes a lot of sense!!!

Would this still be the case if the sump is very big compared to the DT?
    I'm planning on a 1200(l)x600(w)x600(h) DT (water level 560(h))
    and a 1600(l)x500(w)x500(h) sump (water level 450(h)) with a 900(l) DSB

With this sump being so large compared to the tank would you still recommend a x5 water turnover?

My apology's to Breakwall Diver for hi-jacking your thread!!! But you have asked a question I've been battle-ling a long time with!

17. vatso

vatso

Why don't we try first understand what a Sump is there for? it's to keep equipment that cleans our water - this process takes time so moving water faster through the sump is less effective - you want your skimmer to take as much out as it can from the water that comes into your sump. My skimmer sucks more water in then my over return sends back which means my first chambers water gets lots of skimming before the N&P Pellets get their chance & then finally the DSB & Algea.

18. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Yes, I will still recommend 5 times water turn over to play it safe... However, I personally think that the perfect pump would be a "HX 6530 - 1750l/h". This will ensure that your water has plenty of skimmer and DSB contact and still provide you with enough flow..;)

19. Allen

Allen

Awesome! Thanks guys!!!!!!!

20. Breakwall Diver

After, some research, I think time in the sump is best. It gives the water enough time to be "filtered".
    Just on the subject I run 2 external filters (Fluval & Rena) attached to my sump (Now I know some wont agree) but I can assure you with some regular cleaning, they sure keep my water polished.

21. Breakwall Diver

Do you guys recon running a Closed Loop System with a OR6500 mean I can reduce on running internal powerheads, or should I run both?

Recent Posts