Water tight Pvc joints?

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
I am busy setting up my tank and the Pvc joints aint water tight. What is the best thing to use to bind them. Marine silicone, super glue or i saw Bostic Pvc cement or something. Is it reef safe? What do u guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
if its screw fittings, just use thread tape, if its the push(glue) fittings then use PVC cement or equivilent, just let 24hrs to cure.

Reaction score
PVC glue. Literally melts the 2 surfaces together. Impossible to redo. So make sure you do a good job first time round.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
PVC glue. Literally melts the 2 surfaces together. Impossible to redo. So make sure you do a good job first time round.
Yip PVC weld is the thing.

Tangit, Bostick or any of the others will be fine

RiaanP

Reaction score
For temporary pipe connections, silicone should do it. Then you should be able to take it apart and re-use the connections for next project. Just let it cure and dry properly.

Reaction score
Use PVC weld glue, as mentioned above. Before you apply the glue, make sure that both pieces to be welded are perfectly clean - use a paper towel soaked in acetone to do so.

Also keep in mind that you will have perhaps 5 seconds before the glue sets, so once you've pushed a pipe into a fitting then that's it, no chance for correcting any mistakes...

Good luck - it's easy if you've done the planning... Oh, and remember, measure twice, glue once :)

Hennie

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Definitely pvc weld/glue. What I do is take sandpaper and make both ends to be joined a little rough. Apply the glue evenly in the circumferrence. Turn the pipe/fittings as you join to get all air out and spread glue everywhere. Wipe access glue. Like Hennie said, make sure about sizes as it sets quickly.
Posted via Mobile Device

dallasg

Reaction score
as hennie said, make sure they are clean, u can use tangit cleaner, and tangit u-pvc weld to join

Reaction score
Yip!

PVC Weld is all I use! Tangit to be spesific! Didn't have any probs
so far! I don't use Thread fittings if I don't Have to! They just
Won't seal! Tried a lot of stuff!

Fishy Steve

Hiden super user
Reaction score
Thanks guys and gals.