water temprature

Discussion in 'New Members' started by rudivh, 16 Apr 2010.

1. rudivh

rudivh

Hope i dont ask to many questions here, but what should the water temperature in the tank be? The guys at the store said it must be 28 degrees, and i set my heater to that. I then noticed the water temperature went up to 30 degrees. My house is quite warm, so i turned down the heater but the water still stay that temperature so now i dont know if there is a problem with the thermomitor or is the water will be fine for fish.....

Thank you all so much for the help!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

My heaters are off and my temp is 24 at night and 26 during the day. Ideal temp is 25 at 28 you going to top up way to much! Thats if we are talking about marine.

4. rudivh

rudivh Thread Starter

yeah its marine but now i wonder if there insnt anything wrong with the thermometer....?

5. Evo R

Evo R

I am no expert,but as i understand it...... some species of fish live in say 24 degrees and some in say 28 degrees ect. So rule of thumb is keep your tank at 26.5 and your in the clear.
    Regarding your heater,i have never owned a heater that is 100% correct.so play around till your temp is stable at 26 to 26.5

I use pc fans to cool my water temp.and its cheap to. A fan costs say R40 + transformer R 40 = R80. My temp drops say a degree in 30 min. R80 is a hell of a lot cheaper than a R2k chiller and does the same job.

Just remeber you are going to have evaporation!! and you must top that up with RO water.

Hope this helps

Tobes likes this.
  6. lIghty

lIghty

The only heater I would ever trust if I had to choose one would be a Jager, all other cheapies can't control that well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, ideal temp is about 25 to 26, the lower the temp the more oxygen there is in the water.

8. Yuri

Yuri

what fish do you have
    What fish do you want to keep

9. crispin

crispin

stability of temperature is also very important, major swings in small volumes like aquariums leads to rapid stress and problems with the inhabitants. while pc fans work to lower the temp in a crisis chillers are a far better way to maintain the temp at a constant temp and a far more accurate temp. While i understand you point on the economics and cheapness of fans, they really do not do the same job as a chiller, regrettably.

Recent Posts