Water Surface Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MerlinT, 21 Nov 2014.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hey guys. I have a problem at the moment where I have this muk floating at my tanks water surface. My skimmer is definitely not doing a perfect job with surface skimming. It is a BH1000 Reef Octopus HOB. Is it because this pump has maybe lost its power a little or what? It is still collecting and skimming below the surface with no problem I must say. It's just not doing a good job at all with the surface skimming. As far as I know these units are supposed to do surface skimming hence it having a surface skimming cup. Maybe the sponsors who distribute this particular skimmer can advise accordingly. Is there any way to get this skimmer to surface skim more efficiently? I have replaced the original Impeller with a needle wheel impeller to produce more micro bubbles a month after purchase and it worked like a charm. I can't seem to think that this could be the problem or is it. This was after all a better option than the original Impeller. See pics below of the water surface.
    Thanking you in advance for your assistance in the above regard
    M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Where is the muck concentrating? Near cup?

4. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

It is not only at the cup it is spread throughout the surface except for where the power heads flow hits.

5. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

If I scoop up this muck and pour it into the cup then it gets sucked up because it drops deep into the bottom of the cup but it does suck up itself from the surface.

6. jimilutz

jimilutz

Looks like the problem is that the skimming cup is a bit low so it is sucking water from just below the surface. Can you push it up a bit or is it as far up as it goes? You could also drop your water level by 1cm.

viper357 and Christo like this.
  7. Darren24

Darren24

I'm having the same problem.
    Even when you adjust the skimmer cup height it collects all the muck but does not pull it into the skimmer.

8. Riaanv

Riaanv

Maybe not exactly the same issue. I have reefocto overflow boxes. From time to time I also get a surface layer. I switch internal flow of to give it a chance to free flow to the boxes. Takes about an hour then cleared up.

9. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

The cup is above the water level. Just as Darren24 described the same with mine.

10. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

The cuts right around the cup where the water passes through are about 40 to 50mm long. Only when the water hits the 5mm at the bottom where the cuts starts, does it start surface skimming. Only because the water level at that point starts to fall in I suppose the suction then is stronger.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2014
  11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

to me it also looks like tge cup is too deep in the water... those openings ypu have on the cup must be abouve the water level to forse only the surface water over... you shouldnt be able to see the slits from below the surface

12. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

just raise the cup untill the bottom of the slits is about 1-2mm above your water level

13. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

If that's the case i will have to take at 10 litres of water out for the water level to sits just a little over the cups slits. It cannot be below the slits as no water will be able to fall through resulting in the skimmers pump running dry thus damaging the pump i would think.

14. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

By doing this, lets say I'm away and water evaporation has taken place, the water level will again drop below the slits again. Then as mentioned above will happen with the pump.

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I experienced the same but with my Hydor skimmer. You definitely need to lower your water level or perhaps it would be easier to raise the skimmer? If it's a hang on then try and raise it by putting something on the rim of the tank, like I have done here to raise my overflow box (see pic below), perhaps you could do something similar to raise the skimmer?

As a couple of guys have mentioned, the bottom of the slits have to be very close to the surface level of the water in order for the surface to be skimmed. However, this is going to be a mission if you do not have an auto top-up device, as the fluctuating water level is going to play havoc with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Nov 2014
  16. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Although I have adjusted the skimmers cup and the surface is now clean. Looks like I will have to adjust each time when I see the sludge reappear.
    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.
    Cheers
    M

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

do you use a auto top up?... I understand your problem now and unless you have a ATO you run the risk of running your skimmer pump dry as ypu mentioned..

18. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

I do not have a auto top up unit. I will just have to adjust the cup when necessary like I've just done the weekend to clean the surface. A bit of a mission but necessary I guess.
    M
    M

19. CameL

CameL

You should really consider an ato, you don't need the expensive ones from the l&s, you can diy a unit that works just as well for about R300 including a pump, will take you an hour maybe two to build and you're set.

Recent Posts