water question

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by SaltyG, 16 May 2018.

1. SaltyG

SaltyG

Hi Guys

Losing a bit of interest 2 years ago I took a step back from the marine fishkeeping hobby.After all the corals and fish were sold, I have kept some live rock and kept the tank running...only with the rock.

Being my lazy self i topped up the tank with (Wait for it...and it is the holy evil itself!!!)...NORMAL TAP WATER...

been running this tank empty for about 2 years now topping up with tap water the hole time.Not adding any saltwater mix

being in the process of restarting the tank from scratch, what would your advice be with regards yo the rock?Letting it soak in RO water for a week or so?

I am going to emty the tank en clean everything but i am concerned about the rock being submersed in tapwater..

Any advice wil be great..

Thanks

G

2. Guest

3. jclaas

jclaas

Hi @SaltyG

:welcome7:

Back to MASA!

Scrub the rock in a bucket of current tank water to get rid of any potential unwanted nasties and then have it cycle in a bucket with heater and flow pump with the kind of water you are planning on running in the restarted setup.

Cheers!

SaltyG likes this.
  4. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Why you kept the tank running?

Is there no life in it, pods, worms, stars l, algae?

5. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Post a pic of the tank. When last have you tested the water.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would just start using RO from now on. No need to remove and scrub. Maybe yes to rinse the worst settlement out before you restart. But that is it. The unwanted minerals (if any) would be used up by now by algae and other organisms. Just start running the tank with the lights on, like a normal cycle.

SaltyG likes this.
  7. OP
    SaltyG

SaltyG

Hi There
    Dont really know why i kept the tank running now that i think of it...
    I basically kept it running for whenever i wanted to restart again but got lazy and started topping up with tap water.There is a bit of macro algae but no other life.There were some small snails(Like a pest so many) but all life in the tank is dead.

8. OP
    SaltyG

SaltyG

Have not tested the water in about 2 years...Going to start testing again when the tank is started up with new water(RO and salt mix)

9. OP
    SaltyG

SaltyG

Hi Riaan
    That is what i am a bit worried about.I was thinking of emtying the tank starting fresh with proper Water from the start.Cleaning everything up nicely.Actually need to replace all light tubes as well.Thanks for your advice with regards to this.

10. OP
    SaltyG

SaltyG

The main concern is just the amount of chlorine in the tap water that i used to top up the past 2 years.Wondering what affect this had in the tank??

Thank you for the feedback and questions.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When I started, I took over a tank that was topped up with tap water. Even the water changes was made with mixing the salt into normal tap water, like once in a blue moon. This all from advice from pet shop to the previous owner. No wonder he struggled. Even the first top up at my place was also tap water when we moved the tank. That night I discovered MASA and learned about RO and why not to use tap water. I invested in a RO Unit and TDS pen and from then started using RO water. Before the RO, the tank had algae growing on the back panel. Tank improved over time as expected and the algae died out. Actually flaked off in rather big patches. Me being a complete Noob at that time got really worried why my algae growth was coming off in large patches and even posted a thread here asking why. Ha, that felt now like a long time ago.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Should mention as well, that tank was even STARTED using tap water. "Just add the salt into the tank and run some circulation pumps and you would be OK" was the instructions from the pet shop.

13. OP
    SaltyG

SaltyG

Sho that petshop was really in need to sell if they advised to use tap water...Shocking!!!

This nano tank of mine was a piece of art in its day but ya need to start over...I really enjoy the building process of a tank allot.Im a patient type guy.Thanks for sharing.

14. jclaas

jclaas

To be honest i must admit that I've taken a liking to conditioning less thn presteen water as it is nice to see that nutrient rich, yellow water in a tank that you neglected come back to a better condition :). While getting the clarity and low nutrients back is fine, other things to consider is also all the fundamentals like ca, mg, kh etc but that would be something 1 can get right by supplementing and water changing.

Recent Posts