Water quality

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to ask in regards with water quality, is RO water the only way to go. Reason that I am asking is that one lfs sed that they use aged tap water and one person i kno uses sera aqumarine to eliminate nasty chemicals and he says it works fine...

RO is the safest to use.not even the dechlorinators are good for marines.

Hi Highlander - Mekaeel is 100% correct. We all find out one way or another that most people at the LFS's don't REALLY know what they are talking about, when it comes to marines. Yes - there are many ways to do things - but only one right way.... If you really want to, you can try following their advice. We will always be here to help fix the problems... BUT - if you do, be ready for some "I told you so's" :) Good luck mate... BTW: You can either buy your RO water from a LFS, buy your own RO filtration system, or get water from a fellow reefer, who might live close-by...

The salt mix we buy is specifically designed for use with R/O, tap water contains many nasties including phosphates and traces of metals like copper, don't do it.

I am with all the above, just not worth the risk. If your tap water does contain small amounts of copper it may take years to build up but at the end of the day the copper will reach saturation point and the results would be disastrous.

Hi, from I was told if you by the coast then NSW is the only way to go !!!

Hi, from I was told if you by the coast then NSW is the only way to go !!!

Not always. If you can get Natural Sea Water from deep out in the ocean, then definitely go that route. The NSW near the shoreline is not always great due to the pollution humans introduce.

You find a couple of reefers that live in coastal towns still go with synthetic because they know exacty what is in the water they are making up.

Back
Top Bottom