Water quality

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by racerchic, 22 Aug 2010.

1. racerchic

racerchic

Hi All
    Just tested my water today and everything is well with in limits except for NO3=50 and PO4=2.0
    I usually do water changes 10-15% every2 weeks. How is the best way to get these figures down. I was thinking of increasing the water %change and changing every week??

What would happen if i had an under gravel filter linked directly to a canister filter?

Thanks

Buyo tl 550 130l

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

Unfortunately what would most likely happen is you would have high No3 readings .........sorry but its true

But hey if your not keeping sps corals the a N03 reading of 50ppm is still not a sign of panic its still something to work with and there are some awsome products available nowdays that will knock that No3 out of the window but they are pricey unfortunately. However it is also somethng you can change with diligent water changes and yes increasing your water change volume to 30% every 2 weeks would be suggested but not more than that. Then I would also suggest using a bag of seachem purigen in your tank as boyu's dont come with very effective skimmers and the seachem purigen makes up for the lack of skimmability and this will also assist in bringing the No3 down. You should also look at increasing your active bacterial percentage in some way.

So the choice is yours do you want to go the chemical removale route or do you want to go with the manual labour route

Trev

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Do you have any algae problems?

Are you using sea water or RO and salt to do your water changes?

5. racerchic

racerchic Thread Starter

Started to have a bit of algae which indicated to me there was a problem . I use sea water from the aquarium

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

What water do you use for Top-up?

Last edited: 23 Aug 2010
  7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what are you currently running as filtration?

8. danimal

danimal

Water changes should help, however that will be treating the symptom rather than the problem as you are merely diluting the NO3.

You need to find out why the levels are high and then choose the best course of action. What are your feeding habits, what filtration do you have, has anything died recently, etc...

I agree with Trev, the levels are not alarming but are of concern. Ideally we strive for zero nitrates, most people will sit at around 5ppm, even up to 20ppm is normal for some people's systems.

Good luck

Recent Posts