Water Polishing............

Reaction score
Apart for the good old skimmer ........

What do you use or do to give your tankwater its ultimate polished finish so many strive for?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Granular Activated Carbon
Filter floss (changed every 3-4days)
UV steriliser

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Gac?

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Oh thank sean now i understand

thanks

Reaction score
Looks interesting, but doesn't this start cleaning the water too much ?
No mate, I find it doesn't.
It would be a different story if it was placed on tank return to the sump and fuge but due to the skimmer being pump fed from the sump it only filters the return from the skimmer into the sump area

Reaction score
I came up with an idea to rid me dsb of micro bubbles.....and it works a treat.

Get a tupperware(plastic biscuit box) and cut a hole in the lid the same size as your return pipe. Also add a 1" breather hole to the lid.

Fit it lid first just above the waterline and drill a holestraight through the return pipe to allow a plastic dowel to slide completely through holding your lid in place and to stop it dropping off.

Next take the box itself and drill heaps of 1" holes in the bottom.

Fill the box with filterfloss and install the box which will now have its rim just above the waterline

DSC00068.jpg

Reaction score
No mate, I find it doesn't.
It would be a different story if it was placed on tank return to the sump and fuge but due to the skimmer being pump fed from the sump it only filters the return from the skimmer into the sump area

OK I see what you say, my skimmer is external so all my return goes through the skimmer first. So no organisms would have any chance. Got to get though the skimmer then the filters. :(

Reaction score
How do you find the use of ozone......... did you notice a great difference?
Yes, quite an improvement - you won't believe the clarity of the water :thumbup:

I'm only using a small ozoniser, and have it hooked up to a controller which is only set at 380mV, so the ozoniser only switches on for short periods during the day.

Hennie