water parameters

Wetty

Tuned by Tunze, turboed by Red Sea
Reaction score
I know u guys are gona tell me to search. But im not asking wot to look for...im asking that we do a list of :

Water parameters.

Perfect parameters ( in a perfact world these are wot we will get )
Actual wanted parameters ( as close to perfect as possible )
Acceptable parameters ( can be used...but need to be improved )
Dangerous parameters. ( ur fish and reef are gona die with these )

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know u guys are gona tell me to search. But im not asking wot to look for...im asking that we do a list of :

Water parameters.

Perfect parameters ( in a perfact world these are wot we will get )
Actual wanted parameters ( as close to perfect as possible )
Acceptable parameters ( can be used...but need to be improved )
Dangerous parameters. ( ur fish and reef are gona die with these )
A little tricky but, the main ones;-

Calcium - around 400-450ppm - lower or higher will not kill.
Ammonia - anything above zero is dangerous.
Nitrite - as ammonia - over zero not good.
Nitrate - under ten is great, over 50, not good, over 100 - bad.
Phosphate - zero is ok, anything else bad.
PH - 8 - 9 is ok anything else not ok.
Mag - around 1300 is cool
Copper - zero, anything else seriously bad, even a trace of copper can kill your inverts and fish don't care for it much either.
dkh - around 8-12 will be ok.

Then you have strontium, iodine and many others, regular water changes help loads. (10% weekly)

But this is all very simple, the balance between dkh/mag/calcium/ph is more important, and understanding why is even more important, don't just buy the test kits, buy the books so you can understand the relationships between the different elements.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
A little tricky but, the main ones;-

Calcium - around 400-450ppm - lower or higher will not kill.I would say 450-470 is the best in a reef
Ammonia - anything above zero is dangerous.agree
Nitrite - as ammonia - over zero not good.agree
Nitrate - under ten is great, over 50, not good dangourise, over 100 - bad deadly.
Phosphate - zero is ok, anything else bad.over 0.3 is will cause problems, unreadable is the best
PH - 8 - 9 is ok anything else not ok.7.9 to 8.5 in my opinion
Mag - around 1300 is cool would say 1300 to 1450 is best, at 1400 to 1450 you can hold more Ca and Alk in the water
Copper - zero, anything else seriously bad, even a trace of copper can kill your inverts and fish don't care for it much either.Not okay for fish and invert although invets just die, fish will live
dkh - around 8-12 will be ok. agree

Then you have strontium, iodine and many others, regular water changes help loads. (10% weekly)

But this is all very simple, the balance between dkh/mag/calcium/ph is more important, and understanding why is even more important, don't just buy the test kits, buy the books so you can understand the relationships between the different elements.
In RED this is my opinion.