water parameters

Reaction score
Greetings to all honourable members, Lords and Ladies
Until a few weeks back I was taking for granted the salinity level of nsw collected in the surge zone, needless to say I almost fell on my back when after a year and a half I eventually put a few drops onto a refractometer and looked into the light, the reading I got was 1.030 now the question that I have is. Has anyone done any trace element testing on nsw collected in the surge zone (are they in as much of a consentrated form as sodium chloride)? Would "watering" the nsw down before use work? or would it just be easier to close my eyes and buy salt from my lfs and make my own water. The reason for the question is because I stay a few steps away from what I consider one of the most prestine beaches in sa and having to buy salt would just take the joy out of watching my better and much prettier half swearing at me while she helps carry water thanx :m23:
Ps yes she helps a hellava lot

Are you sure refractometer is calibrated? And auto temperature compensated? And did you measure your tanks water or the water you collected?
The trace elements, IF, salinity is higher, will also be higher, i.e. It eill still be balanced to sodium, chloride, Sulphate, Magnesium etc etc...

Which pristine beach do you collect from? A pic of your collection site will also help

Which pristine beach do you collect from? A pic of your collection site will also help

Hi all and thanx for the replies so far
the area that I collect from is about 50km from East London on the west side so as far as human settlement is concerned, it is very limited as well as judging the life in rock pools there is very little pollution . The only thing I can think of is that there are regular current swings along this stretch of coastline (warm currents and cold )the water that I collected was at low tide, the temp was at 19, the refractometer is calibrated, as far as pictures are concerned Ive only learned how to type sms's, swich on the computer and log onto masa so :m12:

'sorry forgot to mention it was the fresh collected water that was measured, my dt water was siting at 1,029

You collect in a rock pool at low tide?

Nooooo. U actually made a 10hr video to wxplain that a specific gravity of 39ppt confuses even peter sellers?

.... inspector cluzo and detective Mofro ...

Are you cousins or brothers...LOL

Just a little fun. Now back to the Salinity or is it SG.

@Mr Dan. Please excuse the joke Irie and myself are having on your thread.

What you need to be aware of is that salinity increases with evaporation. So my good friend is simply trying to do is ascertain the possible causes for the salinity swing.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
.... inspector cluzo and detective Mofro ...

Are you cousins or brothers...LOL

Just a little fun. Now back to the Salinity or is it SG.

Or dence city?

ok chaps with regard to salinity I understand that it is expressed in dissolved parts per thou . and specific gravity is measured in kgs/litre and it is imperative to be taken at the correct temperature or if not then do temp corrections ,fact is at the end of the day if the solution that you are taking the reading from lacks the correct amount of h2o, the amount of dissolved solids will increase proportionatly in a closed system, now the question that I have is as follows. If I take nsw that has a higher sg than that of recommended reef water, will I do any harm in adding ro and kalkwasser to get my sg, ca, alk and mg reading correct in the garage before I carry out the water change . is there any reason that the other trace elements would not be at the correct % as I don't have enough time and money to carry out the other testing for trace elements
(NJ confusion reigns supreme when the question asked is incorrectly worded and as far as watching videos on the internet goes, it is just not going to happen, I live in the sticks and the connection is very slow)
let me see if I have it rite this time thanx
and Irie Ivan the water is only collected in the wave zone and not tidal pools

Natural sea water is not consistent through out the planet. Parameters are vastly different from location to location.

The water collected at your source might or might not be adequate to keep certain corals and fish. This could be either or both, chemical or platonic.

The key IMO is to make sure your corals and fish thrive. An important part of that is stability of water quality.

If you are monitoring water parameters and supplying any additives to keep any in check, then it is best to change out water with the same parameters.

If you are using NSW to correct and replenish these element usage by your live stock then one needs to know what elements are depleted.

Correction of salinity by means of RO addition will work, but of course, the other elements will diminish and may need to be buffered.

What is the process you employ after collecting the NEW? Do you use it immediately of do you treat it before use?

Natural sea water is not consistent through out the planet. Parameters are vastly different from location to location.

The water collected at your source might or might not be adequate to keep certain corals and fish. This could be either or both, chemical or platonic.

The key IMO is to make sure your corals and fish thrive. An important part of that is stability of water quality.

If you are monitoring water parameters and supplying any additives to keep any in check, then it is best to change out water with the same parameters.

If you are using NSW to correct and replenish these element usage by your live stock then one needs to know what elements are depleted.

Correction of salinity by means of RO addition will work, but of course, the other elements will diminish and may need to be buffered.

What is the process you employ after collecting the NEW? Do you use it immediately of do you treat it before use?

I have been using it immediately but as said earlier I took it for granted that nsw would stay constant. im now busy with my new build and info with regard to this problem is limited that's why im asking what many would believe to be a silly issue

Very true words and great advise for anyone using NSW. I myself also use NSW and know that i need to boost pH, ca and mg. The rest is usually not a problem. I check each batch salinity to know if anything is needed.

Not silly questions.

NSW at collection point is not the same as reef sea water. Water around reefs has a very different composition to water around tidal pools and surff. This does no mean that one cannot use it. One needs to understand that, and compensate for the deficiencies.

If you natural collection point has a higher salinity there is no reason to worry. As long as the salinity is consistent all should be fine.

Do not confuse the recommended balance of synthetic salt with that of NSW. Just keep the levels consistent with those that the water you collect. If you have to increase any parameter to keep any specific coral then you will have to do the same with the NSW change out water.

Rem that consistency in salinity, pH, alkalinity is key in water changes.

There are threads on here that discuss the pros and cons of storing NSW and treating before use and direct use. Check them out for what is best for you.

Last edited:
Have you tested Ca, alk and Mg of freshly collected water?

Back
Top Bottom