pH - 7.8-8.5 OK but 8.1-8.3 BEST
Temp - 24-28C
Magnesium - 1250-1350 ppm
Phosphate - < 0.03 ppm
Ammonia - < 0.1 ppm
Nitrate - < 0.2 ppm
Nitrite - < 0.2 ppm

i would argue on the salinity

also i reckon the temp would have alot to do with your salinty which would have alot to do with your ca and alk

ok phat plz give us alternatives, this is for new reefers to know what they "should" work within.

bit tuff on this one.everyone has different water parameters and still thriving systems...so tagging....

i dont think there are any alternatives, copper, i just think its important that its not just a matter of keeping something in check when they are combined and one being out can upset the apple cart

i would argue on the salinity

also i reckon the temp would have alot to do with your salinty which would have alot to do with your ca and alk

I would suggest a salinity range of 1.022-1.026.

Phat, when you say temp affects salinity do you mean that at higher temp the water will have a lower salintiy and vice versa?

my thinking is the higher the temp the more soluble water is

my thinking is the higher the temp the more soluble water is

?????

At higher temperatures the density of water decreases (volume increases). Therefore for a set amount of salt/solutes the effective concentration of the salt/solute will decrease.

This will also mean that it may be possible to run a parameter eg. calcium at higher levels at higher temperatures. Caution must be taken though because if the tank cools down (eg. unplanned powercuts) these high levels will become even higher and may lead to negative side effects.

This is something to take into account when measuring salinity or testing for calcium etc. Unless you do the test at the same temperature as the water in your tank, the results you get are not going to be 100% accurate.

Clinton

I would suggest a salinity range of 1.022-1.026.

Phat, when you say temp affects salinity do you mean that at higher temp the water will have a lower salintiy and vice versa?

quick question: my temp is at 26.5°C and my salinity is 1.020 on the dot... is this too low...

quick question: my temp is at 26.5°C and my salinity is 1.020 on the dot... is this too low...

Yip, it should be 1.024 - 1.026

What are you using to measure with Amore? If it is accurate, you should raise it slowly by topping up with salt water until right, then after that with RO again.

Yip, it should be 1.024 - 1.026

What are you using to measure with Amore? If it is accurate, you should raise it slowly by topping up with salt water until right, then after that with RO again.

I have a refractometer :)

I don't use one of those bobbing jobbies, cause I was told they are not accurate.

How slowly exactly? because I just did a 20% water change because my No2 and No3 had to come down, so I was a bit weary of adding too much salt and last time I listened to the packaging the salinity was too high.

Thanks I appreciate all the advice :)

Amore,

1.020 is a bit low. I would bring it up to 1.024 depending on what you're stocking.

Raise it slowly, about 0.001 over say 2 days. You would hate to cause unnecessary stress on the fish etc.

Amore,

1.020 is a bit low. I would bring it up to 1.024 depending on what you're stocking.

Raise it slowly, about 0.001 over say 2 days. You would hate to cause unnecessary stress on the fish etc.

Thanks,

this is what i have in my tank at the moment:

1x open brain coral
2x plate coral
1x hammer coral
1x tube anemone
1x bubble tip anemone
1x urchin

1x bristletooth tang
1x axilspot hogfish
1x clown (ocellaris)
1x neon dottyback
1x foxface
1x lawnmower blenny

After the water change, the salinity is still the same. Like i said i was scared to up the salinity with one go.

Urgh, it makes me sad to see copperbands threads.

Yeah, raise it slowly to 1.024 or 1.025 over the course of a few days. One way to do this is to add salt to your RO topup.

Yeah, me too dude :(

Unforunately he was killed in a hijacking last year. He was a great guy and is missed by all

How tragic!!! that's very sad :(

Unforunately he was killed in a hijacking last year. He was a great guy and is missed by all
That's just plain nasty to go out by the hands/gun of a bastard:(. Sorry to hear about that guys. Maybe someone should start a tribute thread to honor him which should lift the spirits of everyone that knew him? Just a thought.
I know what it's like yo be hijacked & get stuffed in the boot thank goodness the twats forgot I was in there only to be found 2 days later.

Back
Top Bottom