Water parameters from day 1 to tank maturity

Reaction score
Hi there,

My nano TL-550 is now 2 days old, I have about 5kg of LR and using NSW from 2 oceans aquaruim, a DSB using aragonite.

Carried out the main tests, ph, SG, NH4, No3, No4 KH. Only after 2 days all levels look well within check (this must be too early to see anything)

Could someone be so kind to explain what process my tank will follow during the cycle process and what I will (water levels) experience during the next few weeks to come ???

Thanks chaps ...:yeahdude:

You will first encounter an Ammonia spike and this should peak at about day 10. At the same time as this peak you nitrite should start which will peak on about day 20 and it is then that the nitrate should start building up. Nitrates are taken up by algae this includes diatoms.

Hey Sammy: i'd also suggest you use the search on this forum, there have been many informative threads in the past that'll easily explain tons of questions you'll have ;)

Matt: Thanks, I've tried to search but did not find one specific to my question??? Maybe I should search more ?

Cheers...

Sammy: By all means if you don't find stuff using search then post away! Thats what makes this a public forum :) In terms of cycling and stuff, you can also check out nano-reef.com they've got lots of info, as well as info specific to our nano's

Sammy I'd suggest that you consider adding some more live rock. I started off with about 10kg in the same tank as yours, then upped it to 15kg. I definitely saw the rate of nitrate accumulation reduce around about the time I added the extra rock, although I can't say for sure whether the rock was the cause of the improvement. The tank certainly looks a lot better with a bit more. Better to add more rock before you add livestock, and let it cycle properly. It's a PITA to add it afterwards.

Also, beware that the Two Oceans water does contain quite a bit of phosphate (about 0.25 ppm, from my experience), which is a bad thing. So either use something else (e.g. NSW from the research institute aquarium in Sea Point, or synthetic salt), or treat the 2OC water with phosphate sponge before adding it to your tank. I confirmed the phosphate problem with the guys at the 2OC last week when we did a behind the scenes tour, and they're aware of the problem - but there's no easy solution - the water comes out of the harbour, and the phosphates don't cause much of a problem for their fish-only systems. So don't expect a solution in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom