Water parameters and test kits

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Now for some chemical questions. I have SERA test kits(Milli - look away) and the results tonight showed: Calcium 420-440 ; Nitrates 20mg/l ; Carbonate hardness 6'dKH and ammonia/ammonium 0 mg/l. How accurate are these SERA test kits? What kits do you guys recommend and where do I get them? The nitrates and KH worry me a little - can I sleep sound with those figures? FYI - I use R/O water.Can not measure my PH yet - Millipora?:whistling:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Never used Sera test kits so I can't comment on them, I use Salifert. I believe Tropic Marine test kits are very good.

Nitrates isn't too bad if you only have fish, if you have corals in the tank you will want to lower that as much as possible.

dKH of 6 also isn't too bad, quite acceptable although 8-12 is recommended.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Never used Sera test kits so I can't comment on them, I use Salifert. I believe Tropic Marine test kits are very good.

Nitrates isn't too bad if you only have fish, if you have corals in the tank you will want to lower that as much as possible.

dKH of 6 also isn't too bad, quite acceptable although 8-12 is recommended.
How do you lower the nitrates except with a water change(which I'm doing 2morrow)?
How do you raise the dKH?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Dilution is the solution to the pollution (as Mr Anthony Calfo says)

Waterchanges will lower the nitrates, as will a mature DSB, which can take a few months to become fully functional and effective. So for now regular waterchanges will do it.

If you want a cheap method of increasing your dKH, pop in to Pick 'n Pay or wherever and get yourself some Bicarbonate of soda. I am not too sure on the quantities you will need to dose, someone else will have to help you on that, or have a read through this thread...http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=1454

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Just remember whenever you are adjusting your parameters, do it slowly, over a few days, not all in one foul swoop.

Reaction score
red sea

Now for some chemical questions. I have SERA test kits(Milli - look away) and the results tonight showed: Calcium 420-440 ; Nitrates 20mg/l ; Carbonate hardness 6'dKH and ammonia/ammonium 0 mg/l. How accurate are these SERA test kits? What kits do you guys recommend and where do I get them? The nitrates and KH worry me a little - can I sleep sound with those figures? FYI - I use R/O water.Can not measure my PH yet - Millipora?:whistling:
Hi i use sera and red sea no problems about the same reading

Reaction score
i dont trust them test kits all the colours looks the same to me the doc says i am colour blind but what does he know :p

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
How do you lower the nitrates except with a water change(which I'm doing 2morrow)?
How do you raise the dKH?
Regular water changes, and don't feed too much, also allow your rock to mature and don't stock too quickly. As long as everything else is sweet, a bit of nitrate isn't too drastic.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Live rock, DSB and a sea weed in the system will all lower nitrates.

Reaction score
Just out of interest if you use the sera kh test kit it is pretty acurate i have one and a lamotte kit have checked them agaisnt each other and i constantly get the same readings.

Shaun

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of interest if you use the sera kh test kit it is pretty acurate i have one and a lamotte kit have checked them agaisnt each other and i constantly get the same readings.
I have compared the sera kh to the Tunze and they are also the same. Just did not know how good the Tunze test kit is.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Regular water changes, and don't feed too much, also allow your rock to mature and don't stock too quickly. As long as everything else is sweet, a bit of nitrate isn't too drastic.
I do 10% water changes every 2 weeks, my live rock has been running for 18 months now(came from my previous system) and has got a lot of life on them, there are also a pot load of pods in the rock which comes out at night. This tank ran with water from old tank for about 2 months with 1 fish and a cleaner shrimp, then I added 2 small fish every 2 weeks. Got 5 in now, all eat well and very active.