Water paramaters advice

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Jusman18, 1 Sep 2010.

1. Jusman18

Jusman18

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a second hand Boyo TL 550. Most of the equipment is standard, as well as some additional equipment.

I scored the live rock as well as water from the guy. I threw the subtrate away as it was crushed coral and replaced it with play sand which I washed and washed and washed.

It is now the second week of me running the rank, with nothing inside, other than the snail I scored from the rock.

I have done one water change, 10% as well as rinsed off the filter media.
    I have just done a water test and am wondering where my tank is within a cycle, if any and whether it is safe to start adding my CUC?

Parameters are as follows (Tested with a Tropic Marine test kit):

Temp: 25.6 Degrees Celcius
    PH: 8.4
    Nitrate: 15 ppm or mg/l
    Nitrite: 0.02 ppm or mg/l
    Ammonium: 0 ppm or mg/l
    Salinity: 1.020

How am I looking?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Cool Jusman,

WELCOME, 2 weeks is still early days but see you are wise to ask for advice first. Quick answer, salinity needs to up a bit to 1.023 - 1.025 (MHO), obviously aim for zero on NO2 & NO3..too early to add CUC me thinks, wait the period ou..will reap awards in the long run

4. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Hey FransSny,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Would continuous water changes be sufficient to eventually bring the NO2 and NO3 down?

Also, would a top up of salt water bring my salinity up? Its still in the "green" band of the hydrometer, but bordering the 1.020 range. From what I understand, adding salt, will make the water denser, thus, bringing the hydrometer further up?

Thanks again :)

5. FransSny

FransSny

Only a pleasure

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Just top up with salt water to slowly raise the salinity. If you had no snail in there then I would have suggested to do it quickly since the tank is still going to go through a cycle.

The NO2 is a sign of a non fully functional filtration system and this is why we cycle a tank. To build up the filtration system. Waterchanges are ok to reduce the NO3 levels. I would not worry too much about the current water parameters as they will cahnge quite frequently during the cycle. Dont do any waterchanges during this initial persiod as it will just prolong the cycle. What you are effectivly doing with the waterchanges, is removing the food that the bacteria needs to consume so that they can multiply.

7. Jusman18

Jusman18 Thread Starter

Ok cool, I have a few litres of salt water sitting in a sealed container, as well as a seprate container that contains RO water. I was going to top up with RO seeing as I did a water change over the weekend. I wont do a water change then this week and will take a water sample to the pet shop to have checked as well against the figures I have come up with. Was struggling to match the colors in the test kit to exactly that on the charts.

I was hoping to not got through a full cycle, but, patience is a virtue and I will wait it out.

I was spying on my tank last night in the dark with an infrared light and there are a lot of other things running around in there other than the snail.

I have a very small mantis shrimp hiding in a hole in the one rock, a few worms, I think Bristle worms, also very small, these worm like things that extend themselves out of the rock, but dont quite leave the hole hey have come from, looks like an earth worm, not quite sure what that is and then I have stax of what I think are copepods running around on the rock.

I am also getting an outbreak of Aiptasia, which I need to inject with lemon juice if they get out of hand. They are still very small and was hoping the CUC would take care of them when I finally add them to the tank.

lol, extremely interesting things happening, and lots and lots of research being done.
    I appreciate all the input I am getting as well as having the resources that are available today.

Recent Posts