Water out of the tank...

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Fishwife, 24 Mar 2009.

1. Fishwife

Fishwife

Hi All

Had my first heart attack this morning, half of my " ocean" was on the floor. I had a look at the sump last night everything was fine, water levels etc. This morning, half the "ocean" was turning into a swamp, on the floor. I turned off all the valves, pumps... filled the sump. Turned everything on( after operation clean-up) Everything was fine, no flood problems. Any ideas what went wrong, did I miss anything. I am actually thinking of getting up every hour tonight just to make sure everythng is fine.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

it could be that there is a leak in a tank, or in a pipe, or something of the sort? sorry to give harsh ideas but they are possibilities. check for any drops of water around the tank and see if you cant find where its coming from. Water doesnt just magically hop out of the tank:) there has to be a reason

4. Fishwife

Fishwife Thread Starter

I had a look after clean up, no cracks, (think and hope)andit was cycling for weeks, ( all the water was in the tank, when it was cycling) Do you think anything could be stuck in a pipe, water did not get to the sump. I don't understand how the sump was normal, and then suddenly a flood. At least I had more that half the water still in the tank

the water came from the top of the tank, as if the tank was overflowing, and as I said, everything was fine, I suppose I did something very wrong, and I am not sure what

5. lIghty

lIghty

Power Failure? depending on the design of the tank, sump and plumbing, its some times possible for water to be syphoned out of the tank and into the sump thru the return/sump pump when the power goes off, try turn your returm pump off and watch what happens, if the water in the sump keeps rising then it probably flooded the sump due to power failure.

if so you need to make some "syphon breaks" in the return pipes.

6. Fishwife

Fishwife Thread Starter

Hi

Hubby had the tank drilled and , and...., so I am still not sure we had a small power failure last night, I actually forgot about that. I hoper that is thge problem, if so how do I solve it, for next time

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

Make sure you have a hole just below the surface of the water on your return pipe. When the pump switches off the water sucks back into the sump, but stops soon as the hole starts sucking air.

The water probably drained out the main tank and overflowed the sump, on to the floor.

You and the hubby not having luck with the tank floods

8. Tony

Tony

Fill your tank up again and then turn everything off to see what happens. Warren is right about drilling a small hole to prevent water draining back into your sump so simulate a power failure and see what happens

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

eish.. nasty lesson to learn but rather sooner than later.. hope all works out

10. shiks

shiks

100% correct.....was prob water being syphoned back from the main disply.....i nearly had a similar prob but manged to catch it in time.....i had the hole drilled but clever me deceided to turn the angle of the return a bit more and effectivley covered the hole i drilled....luckily i switched off for feeding and picked up that there was no air break noise....double check it again will prob be the same reason

11. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

and you had a powerfailure ?
    and your sump was what was empty ?
    what sort of overflow are you running ???

I would hazard a guess as follows

the power went off
    the pumps stopped
    the siphon in the overflow broke?
    the power came on and water pumped into the display without the overflow working .. hence the flood from the DT

do you have a self tapping durnso pipe? or how does your overflow work??

no chance of a hermit or snail in your overflow pipe????

12. Junz

Junz

did you find out what happened

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

It sounds to me as if something got jammed in your pipe overflowing from the tank into the sump, therefore restricting flow. How many mm is the outlet pipe/s?

14. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds like overflow not working as it should. Couple of things here, size of overfow for the size return pump, is your overflow pipe under water in the sump or ontop of the water because you could get an air lock in the pipe if under water. Or is the overflow blocked in anyway.

15. Fishwife

Fishwife Thread Starter

Hi
    Thank you for the advice. Hubby had a look when he came back from his trip, filter wool in the pipe, so it is sorted out now. ( His tank looks like s disaster,( according to him) after I had to look after it for a week, alge...

He asked my to find out if we can see you tomorrow afternoon for the Zoa's. Please let me know.

Kind Regards

16. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

This is a clear example of why I would want an insurance policy on this. Luckily Fishwife did not loose any equipment or livestock, but should this happen in my own tank, both my powerheads would run dry, my return pump in the sump would keep on pumping water out which lowers water levels in the sump, so my return pump runs dry and my skimmer. BIG BIG problem!!!

But hang in there, insurance product on it's way!!!:thumbup:

17. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Do you have filter wool in the DT?

Recent Posts