Water Level Help

Reaction score
i have a 4 foot tank with the overflow on the rhs,inside, of the tank. my overflow height is too low in the sense that the water height of the tank is too low and when my hood is on u can see the gap between water height and hood.

how do i increase the water height without doing another overflow ???

Reaction score
Why not just silicone on thin strips of glass to make overflow a bit higher?

Alternatively you can make it appear higher by using a much stronger return pump, or lowering the sides of your canopy.

Reaction score
I am with Palmerc with this one.

Reaction score
If you use glass use the same thickness glass as the rest of your tank, If the tank is 10mm you cant use 2mm glass, perspex should work will silicone stick to it ?

Reaction score
Leave for and hour at least before switching on return pump. Preferably 2 to 4 hours. Any thickness glass would work. I would stay away from perspex though. Silicon does not stick to perspex very well.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Yip raise the overflow slightly with glass, silicone will stick to perspex for awhile but will eventually let go.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I dont know Mekaeel, all i can say is when i first started my tank had a perspex overflow and it eventually gave way.

Reaction score
As long as there is no pressure on the perspex it will be ok. I suppose if he really wanted he could try perspex. There won't be a large amount of pressure on the perspex and if it does give way it won't affect much besides the water level.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Afsal,

Don't bond Acrylic to Glass with silicone. Rather fabricate a detachable wall from perspex, then hang it on the glass. See pic. The teeth are optional.

The pieces of perspex can be bonded with Methylene Chloride, available at the place where you get your perspex. The bond is extremely strong and should last forever as it fuses the perspex together.

Waterlevel.jpg

Cheers