Water for marine tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Devank, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Devank

Devank

Hi All, I was just wondering if buying a Ro filter for around R1500 (5 stage) and buying marine salt for around R700 per 20Kg is the correct thing to do. What brands are recommended? I made teh mistake of bring sea water from DBN only to find out from the pet store that this increases the nitrogen levels.

Thank you for your time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mnd123

mnd123

mmmm, depends where you got your water from, but that sounds like some sucky advice from the LFS

Try Marco @ The Waterboy - he is a sponsor and will sort you out for that amount for the RO unit - he is really helpful to boot!

I get Aquamedic salt from Idol Marine (also a sponsor) for that kind of price - a little more perhaps, give Luis or Rob a call.

Marc

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Hi and welcome Devan, i think that water will be good to use, by i have no experience with natural salt water so lets hear what the other guys have to say, looks like someone wants to make a sale, all be it that you will need the RO unit and salt mix in the future

5. mnd123

mnd123

Damn Devank, sorry for my manners - welcome!

6. desertfox

desertfox

hi guys im also keen on knowing if there is anything wrong with fresh sea water as i stay i stone trow away from the beach i do regular bi weekly changes with fresh sea water and had no probs yet my moorish idol which i rescued with a big fungal growth on his head has recovered fully within a week and is doing great.

7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Nothing wrong with NSW. It's really down to personal preference and availibility.

8. Dane

Dane

I have always used NSW, without any problems whatsoever. However it is somewhat prefiltered as it comes from the cape town aquarium. That said, taking the water from a clean, unpolluted beach might even be cleaner... Harbours are a terrible source of pollutants.

9. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome gents and for the info. Is it possible to store water straight from the ocean for aquarium use, if so how long? I'm just wondering if the pet store gave me a bogus story of nitrate build up. I bought a test kit and will run some test on the water which was standing for about 3 week later this week. Will let you all know what the results are. Now that I live in JHB, I really feel the extra costs:( but its for the love of the hobby.

I used to collect water & fish from Isipingo.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  10. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome mate...

12. mnd123

mnd123

Devan, there may be some truth in the keeping of salt water. The water will be full of planktonic life and this will die off, which could build up the ammonia in it

NSW folks, help Devank out, us Reefers on the Reef have no clue ;)

13. danimal

danimal

welcome mate. I've also only used natural sea water, as long as its taken from the right spot it's fine. a lot of guys use ushaka's water because of the convenience (i very quickly got over lugging 50 liters of water up the beach once a week) and it's probably the best natural water you will get.

not too sure how long NSW can stand for, true there will be some die-off, but how much? most of the bacteria are present on solid matter rather than floating about in the water column (i do stand to be corrected here). aslo bear in mind that it's not in the LFS's best interests to let you get water for free when he can sell you a bag of salt and RO for hundreds of rands...

14. manta

manta

NSW no problem. The only issue I have in my tank is GHA which I know is not the water's problem, but mine as i used tap water for top-up. (Got a RO unit from Waterboy since). We live and learn, but no issue with NSW, just make sure it is from a clean source.

15. Dane

Dane

Devank, I don't think die off would contribute significantly. I have stored NSW for as long as two weeks.

Some people actually store it in semi-opaque white containers, which allows for cyano etc to grow on the inside and pull out most of the nutrients - when taking the water out (being careful not to dislodge all the cyano etc) then you should have very clean water indeed. But, this isnt necessarily a good thing. I beleive one of the benefits of NSW is all the bacteria, and microflora/fauna that you get for free.

That said, NSW can have its issues. Apparently the supply around cape town and particularly from the two oceans aquarium is high in phosphates. There is always going to be natural variation with such sources.

Nonetheless, I've been very happy with NSW. Sometimes I even just hall a bucket out from the local beach near my house, and its hardly the cleanest beach in the world....

d

16. Suhayl

Suhayl

Try Exotic Aquariums in Boksburg, had a special on Deltek salt. R700 for a bucket of 25kg.

17. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Hey devan i do this exact thing, my water comes from isipingo on a high tide have no problems what so ever,

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

u cant trust everything the LFS says!:whistling:

19. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

Hi All, the water has been standing for 4 weeks now. Everything seems ok, please check the results below:

Nitrite less than 1 mg/l -- Passed
    Nitrate less than 2mg/l -- Passed
    Kh/Alalinity =7.4 to 7.7 -- Passed
    NH4 = Less than 0.01 -- Passed

Your feeddback would be appreciated.

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Devan, is your tank running yet? If so, how long and what live stock you got in there?

21. Devank

Devank Thread Starter

The tank has been up for about 6 weeks and there about 40Kg live rock. Running fine. I'm doing things the right way (I HOPE)

The results above are for the natural sea water I had brought up from DBN which has been stored for more than 4 weeks in plastic gallons. I just wanted to see if there was any truth to the stories about NH4/Nitrate and nitrite hikes. Maybe I got lucky will try a few more samples in weeks to come.

I managed to get Tetra marine for R520 for a 20Kg and I found the 3 stage RO at R1000. So will try the RO mix soon.

Recent Posts