Water flow in large tanks

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by LCornelius, 29 Mar 2011.

1. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Hi all,

I have been reading the net and trying to figure out how flow works in big systems.
    The tank that I'm planning will be 4m in length 900mm wide and water level at 500mm.

The tank will be viewable from both the 4m sides. Would one run this as a CLS or a CLS with wave makers or just wave makers.

Been looking at the Vortech MP40w ES and MP60w ES. Amazing equipment!
    Would it be good enough to run 2 MP40's on the 2 sides or rather the MP60's.

The MP60's is very expensive, I can get 2 MP40's for the price of one MP60.

I was thinking of running 2 CLS's so that one could switch between the 2 every few minutes. Would this be a good or bad idea? I would then use the MP40's with the CLS.

With the wonderful 25% increase in electricity, my biggest concern is the electricity usage of CLS pumps!

Appreciate your input!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

on a tank that size u cant use 2 mp40's on the sides as they too small rather 4 would be my take. MP60 would be great ideally 2 alternatly if budget is an issue get the ocean medic wavers they are huge big blowers but they are cheap think u can get 4 of them for the price of 2 mp40's and they pack a decent punch, this is if u going the sps route.
    if u go the softies or lps route im sure that u could get away with 2 mp 40 or 1 60 with supplimenting flow with either seios or sun suns.

i am not a fan of cls as the flow is too dense prefer a wider flow

4. durleo

durleo

If your tank is braced properly - why not add a tunze wavebox and 2 x mp40 and a few sun sun pumps at the bottoms to keep the flow random and prevent dead spots -

5. LCornelius

LCornelius Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks ziyaadb, appreciate the input. If possible I would also like to stay away from CLS. Lookls like I will have to go with the MP60's, because I don't want anything on the 2 viewing sides.

6. LCornelius

Thanks durleo, I like your idea of the wavebox! The tank will be properlt braced.

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Have a look into tunze waveboxe's. They look neat and provide good flow. Besides proper bracing, youll need to make sure that your overflow can handle the waves.
    There is a thread somewhere on diy waveboxes.

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

+1 on the tunze wave box

9. Suhayl

Suhayl

I would build a surge system, cheap and can move large amount of water easily. Check out Borneman surge device, and thee many others that work similar.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

it all as usual depends on what you want to achieve, i love the Tunze wavebox idea but it needs to be supplemented with additional flow for detritus export to the overflow.

from a maintenance point of view i find Tunzes fantastic as there is very little if any maintenance but the idea od vortech and 2 seperate parts dont gel well with me.

if they are not aligned properly there will be wear and it is even suggested by ecotechmarine that certain bushes etc be renewed yearly.

from a flow perspective they are awsome barring the lack of directionality. Tunze wins hands down here.

on the CLS:

a problem has always been a good econimically viable pump for its operation and there are allot of pumps now available to fulfil this void.

AM eco runner/ Reeflow and pumps like this with low wattage and high flow outputs are now becoming readily available. but at a price

i would personally use these to flush dirt from beneath the rockwork periodically rather than run 24/7 as this will just chew electricity.

also make sure you service seals occasionally and have gatevalves in place to perform such servicing.etc

11. Suhayl

Suhayl

If you want to use the waveboxes you can copy mine. I have waveboxes made out of cast acryllic, than a adjustable 0-30v power supply and Omron timer. The pump used is a Resun stream pump. I must be honest to say that 2 waveboxes can make a over 3 metre rock. Thats like the in thing in Bangkok on my last visit all the guys just after those waveboxes. South Africa always a bit behind with stuff.

12. LCornelius

Thanks for all the responses, they are noted and appreciated.

Looks like running a tunze wavebox and a CLS would be the way to go.
    Then running one pump on the CLS every hour for 5min to flush dirt from LR.

With a large enough wavebox, would I still need the vortech pumps? Maybe 2 MP40's on the other side of the tank? Run them in between the wavebox?

13. leslie hempel

i would still incorporate a flow pump of choice (vortech or Tunze) they each have their own unique features. so yes i would add at least one other pump 2 being optimul.

for a tank of this size (4m) you would possibly need a wavebox and a wavebox extention for it to work propperly but.

The other thing to take into consideration is if you are going wavebox and are going to have a advanced controller (say a 7096 usb controller) it would make sence to stick with tunze as you could controll all pumps and wavebox extention from one controller.

Just pointing it out. I am very Pro Tunze and dont want to come across as pushing them but i do just want you to know the full extent of your options.;)

14. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

i would use a tunze wavebox together with tunze streams for a tank that size. Then also a CLS for under the rock.

Btw what are you going to do for light? If i were you i would look at solartubes and LED supplementation.

15. LCornelius

Thanks Leslie, you are right, would be better to stick to Tunze for the entire system.

16. LCornelius

Johan, I have not even thought of lights. This project will only start in a years time when I buy my parents house. It will be a monster light system. Will investigate solartubes and LED lighting.

Thanks!

17. leslie hempel

hoping by then that some better energy effiecient options are available.;)

18. LCornelius

Jip, because lights for a 4m tank will be steep!

19. Suhayl

Suhayl

Be sure to have many Tunze pumps and back ones as they can give up on you at anytime. They do carry a warranty but have to be sent in everytime to be repaired. Those wavebox Tunze work hard so Im sure wont be long before it has to be sent in for repairs. I have the old Tunze 6100 pumps and they problem free.

20. leslie hempel

did you buy the chinese Tunzes :tt2:

i had simular issues with my vortechs, all the wet ends went and cost me a fortune. so far so good on Tunze but you never know. these things are all man made and subject to failure.

21. LCornelius

Ok Tunze it is!

If I run 2 Turbelle 2 6105's on the 7096 multi-controller can I just add 2 wavebox extensions and use the multi-controller to control them?

The reason is that if I buy the wavebox I get a controller with it and can run the wavebox and extension from it. It will be pointless having the wavebox controller if the multi-controller can run all of it!

Recent Posts