Water conditions for Corraline growth

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
I have always been under the impression that along with the correct lighting u needed excellent water quality for corraline to grow in ones thank. However it seems of late that corraline is growing majorly in my 10 gallon. Its on the pipes, rocks, empty snail shells and glass. And i will be the first to admit that my quality of water is not the best in this tank. Have i been wrong about corraline needing good quality water to grow?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Kunhardt - the "Secret" behind getting corralline algae to grow, is the following:
- high calium levels
- high alkalinity levels
- VERY low phosphate levels
- availability of corralline algae spores

The combination of these gives you Good corralline algae growth......

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Thanks Jacques, so wouldnt high Nitrates cause a lack of growth? By high i mean 20-30ppm. I have always had a problem with nitrates in that tank.

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Most types of coralline found in our tanks also do much better under lower light intensities, contrary to popular belief. I would bet that your lighting in this tank is not very bright, am I right?

Hennie

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Except my tank, where it loves light - horrible stuff

Kunhardt

Purple Tang
Reaction score
Most types of coralline found in our tanks also do much better under lower light intensities, contrary to popular belief. I would bet that your lighting in this tank is not very bright, am I right?

Hennie
Correct there Hennie, it seems to have seriously taken off since one of my blue bulbs blew and i replaced it with one that is less bright than the previous one.