Water changes on a new Nano Tank?

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Dean76, 4 Dec 2009.

1. Dean76

Dean76

Water changes on a new Nano Tank?
    I would like to find out what is best on the 10% weekly water changes on a newly set up Nano Tank? I have read that some say you should do the water changes and have read the one should not do water changes on the cycle stage and only top up the evaporation?
    I have also read that on the startup with the cycle one should leave the lights off?
    Any suggestions on this please?
    Look forward to hearing back from you all.
    Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Hi dean

Yes you can leave the lights off. I do water changes every 2nd week in a cycle...just top ups and it has worked for me

4. Cryp

Cryp

Hi Dean

Before my tank went bellup when the heater stop working. I used to do a 10% to 15% water change every 2nd week with a top up in between because of evaporation. I find that was sufficent and my tank was thriving.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, while the tank is cycling, some people do not do any water changes, only top-ups as needed.

Other people recommend daily 10 to 20% change. Reason, the ammonia is building up as the tank starts to cycle. And as it is the ammonia poisoning that kills off more organisms until the bacteria consuming the ammonia can establish. Getting rid of ammonia buildup prevents more critters in the live rock from dying. Resulting in a 2 to 3 week faster cycle period.

Well daily on a 500L system, 50L per day for a month = a box of expensive salt that you throw away to shortcut yourself 3 weeks. I can not justify that so I have to learn the other great virtue in reef keeping = patience.

6. Annoying

Annoying

You can keep the lights off untill you add the first few fish.

7. Dean76

Dean76 Thread Starter

Thanks all for the Great info. I really appreciate you all taking the time to read my questions and give me the answers.

Thanks

8. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Hi Dean, very good info given. I do a 10-15% change every second week, or even in the 3rd week. It also depends, if you have live stock in, how much fish you have. I did some reading up, that small systems shouldnt be over populated, that is one rule ! Just keep in it mind. My advice, you started the best rewarding hobby ever ! enjoy

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Dean - my opinion is - it is a waste to do water changes while your tank is still cycling.

So - just keep on checking the salinity/SG of the tank water - you might need to top up with fresh RO water.

BUT, leave the water changes until you actually have lifestock in the water.

10. Dean76

Dean76 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the GREAT infomations, it is appreciated.

11. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Hi All, I'm new here and i've just started cycling my 2nd Nano (1st one started leaking)

Keeping the lights off seems to be a bit of a mixed viewpoint tbh. Most books i've read have said definately keep them, most forums say definately keep them off, and then some nano tutorial guides have said definately keep them on :p

With the 1st nano I left them off, I had no hair algae but the cycle was taking an age to get anywhere. With the new Nano i've put in a small piece of fish to get the ammonia levels up (this is also a mixed procedure but I've left it in for 2 days) and left the lights on and its cycling faster.

So....who knows :p

But they have all been together is saying definately no water changes.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
Recent Posts