Water changes change the parameters

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Tremayn, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey reefers. I wanted to run this by. I keep my alk at around 9 (trying to keep it as stable as possible) .. Ca Im still getting up (at 380 last I checked) .. Now I have red sea coral pro salt, it has an Alk of 12 and Ca of 450. If I do a water change then thats going to mess with my parameters. Should I increase my alk to say ...11? That way a water change wont have much of an effect on my parameters.

Also, I would like to know what are the alk, ca and mg of the normal seachem reef salt? I want to change to that when my red sea is finished :)
    Thanks kids :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Depending on how big your water changes are there shouldnt bee too much of a problem. The best would be to actually test the salt as the KH, Ca and Mag may vary depending on the SG of your mix. In other words if you mix to a lower SG then you KH,Ca and Mag may be lower than a high SG where things are more concentrated

4. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Will be needing to do large water changes. If I use a lower SG for water changes then my SG in the system will also drop. I have 40L mixed, might as well just use that

5. 2balive

2balive

Hi

I use Red Sea Pro as well.

As calcium and alkalinity gets depleted, I use my water changes as my calcium and alkalinity addition, cuts down on the amount of additives I need to add.

I would also take their claim 450 and 12 with a pinch of salt, I do 15% water changes a week and I still have to add calcium and alkalinity to maintain my levels above 400 and 3.5 (9.8).

Never thought of this as I aways saw the high levels as a benefit, but you are correct that large changes or infrequent changes may pose a problem.

6. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

I do a waterchange in a Saturday morning, i then adjust my KH at night and the next morning i adjust my calcium...

Recent Posts