Water change Water in Jhb North

Neil H

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am based in Northriding, i have a tank i am going to start cycling, if anyone has old water from a water change or is going to do a water change in the next week or so please let me know as i would like to use old water for the cycling .....

thanks !! :thumbup:

Neil once my cheato has started to grow i will let you know and you can come fetch some from me if you dont have. I'm close to you.

Otherwise my tank is still kinda cycling. I think a cup of sand from a mature DSB would be better.

i am in rivonia, so i have some for you as well, near gallo manor if u go past mouse.

Neil, I am cleaning my tank tomorrow if you fancy some of my old water? What I can do is stick it in a bucket / large bin (which I only use for my tank) until you're ready to collect?
I'm in Gallo Manor...

That would be awesome, many thanks, let me know when i can pick it up pls

Neil once my cheato has started to grow i will let you know and you can come fetch some from me if you dont have. I'm close to you.

Otherwise my tank is still kinda cycling. I think a cup of sand from a mature DSB would be better.

fantastic, let me know when you do your water change

i am in rivonia, so i have some for you as well, near gallo manor if u go past mouse.

Thanks Dallas, much appreciated !

awesome boendoe.... i would love that water..... we can sommer do the frag swop the same time ... pm me your details and we can make plans!!!

Neil H...Im just curious, is thr any benefit in using old tank water to cycle a new system...?

Should you not use a cup of live sand from an established DSB...or what...?

Guys dont know if this Neils idea but I think didnt want to waste "new" salt in these "cycling" of his tank - Let see what he says - Didn't someone in JHB area do this with no problems a few months back or am I suffering with de 'ja vu!

Hi guys Niel is using the old tank water to speed up the cycling proses, it works pretty well, most of the water will still be fine if he gets it from reefers that does weekly water changes. I starter my tank on old water and it cut down the cycle process by half. The water contains all the bacteria to start the proses so you don't have to wait for the dead shrimp to do it's job.

I am in Northriding and will have 25l tomorrow.

i will pick it up if you keep it, many thanks

Neil H...Im just curious, is thr any benefit in using old tank water to cycle a new system...?

Should you not use a cup of live sand from an established DSB...or what...?

the bacteria in the water itself is negligable, and the filtration of this system will be seeded from 4 different sources. there are no distinct benefits from a bacteria standpoint, i am trying something out and "used" water will work just fine so why use new salt ?

I'm with Riyadhessa here - my old water is "yellow" I am not sure of the benefits to your tank, in fact can only think of negatives.

I like the saying "nothing good happens fast" and trying to speed up a cycle can only go awry.

there is no way i would add yellow water.... i suggest you look into running some activated carbon, or replace your current carbon because it aint working .....

"nothing good happens fast is the philosophy that i use in my reefing and agree wholeheartedly !

Guys dont know if this Neils idea but I think didnt want to waste "new" salt in these "cycling" of his tank - Let see what he says - Didn't someone in JHB area do this with no problems a few months back or am I suffering with de 'ja vu!

you pretty much hit it on the nail there boet

Hi guys Niel is using the old tank water to speed up the cycling proses, it works pretty well, most of the water will still be fine if he gets it from reefers that does weekly water changes. I starter my tank on old water and it cut down the cycle process by half. The water contains all the bacteria to start the proses so you don't have to wait for the dead shrimp to do it's job.

i will be pretty picky with the water to be honest ...

ok, caveat utilitor

noted but not relevant

thanks for the input all !:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom