Water change turns into chaos.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
While doing water change tonight I forgot to turn off my top up powerhead. By the time I realised it my sg was 1021 from 1024. The worst howevr was the KH. Thank googness for Liaquat onl being a phone call away. Will have to wait and see how the rest of the night goes.

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
I'm sure Liaquat has steered you in the right direction, you're in good hands.

Are the inhabitants showing any signs of stress ?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Alfie dont sweat it too much just bring all the parameters back slowly, i have had a similar experiance when a nenny went over the falls and blocked an averflow. i pumped 100L of fresh water into the system and dropped the salinity from 1026 down to 1021 and the water for some reason was crystal clear anyway i degress, suffered no losses.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
I'm sure Liaquat has steered you in the right direction, you're in good hands.

Are the inhabitants showing any signs of stress ?
Yeah thank goodness that I at least know I am in good hands.

Goniopora is showing signs of stress. Nothing else yet.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Hey Alfie dont sweat it too much just bring all the parameters back slowly, i have had a similar experiance when a nenny went over the falls and blocked an averflow. i pumped 100L of fresh water into the system and dropped the salinity from 1026 down to 1021 and the water for some reason was crystal clear anyway i degress, suffered no losses.

dKH dropped down to 5.6

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Don't worry Liaquat will save you ;) You couldn't ask for better hands to help...

mandarinman

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
at least it wasnt a 40 percent water change with sea water that your lfs supplied to you but they hadnt switched their one tap off so the water they gave was almost pure ro( i wonder why aqua h20 doesnt sell to the public anymore.) i must say they have helped me out in other ways since then. i didnt know what to do so i boiled some of the seawater i had taken out to up the salinity and raised the salinity bit by bitby pouring it back into the tank. that was right in the beginning, now i taste my water before putting it in my tank, kinda primitive but it works for me. hope things will be alright for you though.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Haha, better to taste it before it goes in the tank than after it comes out I guess... Or do you taste your skimmate too?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Alfie, I trust all turned out well?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah - sorry to hear Alfie - I don't know how I missed this thread! It brings me back to my tank crash.... power failure - tank too full - sump over flowed - auto-topup working overtime - and this happened twice for about 2/3 days each while I was away on leave.

When I came back, I had lost ALL my inverts, 5 of 9 fish.... Funny thing though - all my hermits survived, and ONE APTAISIA survived! Can you believe it!

At least 1.024 down to 1.021 is NOT that big a drop in salinity. Good luck mate! I am sure that your life-stock should be able to "weather the storm".... ;-)