water change idea?!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Boerseun, 9 Aug 2013.

1. Boerseun

Boerseun

Well I just had this funny idea!
    In the norm we do water changes every other week. Right? So what about we take that 10% water change and divide it in to seven days and do them everyday. ok for the nano oukies I can understand it would be a bother because it would be like 2l or 5l a day and that's not that much but for us guys who run full reef tanks. Wouldn't it be more beneficial for the critters and also the water quality?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

OK.
    In theory yes, as you are changing out the same total volume in any case but over a longer period of time.

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I believe that it will cause more instability , I do believe water changes will help every 6 months for ionic stability

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Your 10% a week will be more effective than the daily ones. Remember that if you do a water change on consecutive days you are effectively replacing some of the new water you added yesterday.

6. brentv

brentv

So how much would you change to get ionic stability every 6 months, coz you also don't wanna do a massive change I'm sure?

7. dallasg

I would do 20-30%, the goal would be to remove sulphates etc, and at the same time clean sumps etc

8. Quintin

Quintin

Well, I may get shot down for this but ....
    The last water change on my tank was in December 2012... ;)
    Much better to control nitrates, phosphates and other stuff via a good filtration system than via water changes.

Add required chemicals via dosing and add a bit of top up salt as required....

1.jpg

9. brentv

brentv

Removing sulphates is pretty difficult in your DT without turning all the LR topsy turvy.
    Are you saying basically just clear up and drain your sump, water volume if similar to above, and put back skimmer, reactors, refuge inhabitants etc.

10. dallasg

Yes, reset ionic imbalance , water changes for nutrient export are a waste IMHO

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

@SpsMad has said often enough that " the best solution to pollution is dilution" i think waterchanges fix the imbalances we inadvertantly create in our tanks. I like the idea of a litre a day on a small tank but it doesnt really help much if you stir substrate etc and want to remove particulates from water. Then it is better to do larger waterchanges less often

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. chops

chops

Hi there my sump is 800l I do a 400l water change every 4 weeks my tanks been running for 5 years tank is 1.5m x600x600

13. Boerseun

Boerseun Thread Starter

Understood but in theory it should work, Because of the fact that lets work this on a 330l system. You will only be doing a 4l a day WC witch sounds good to me because you have a steady top up of any depleted resource.

14. 2balive

2balive

I definitely saw a significant improvement in my tank (nano) when I went from 15% per week to 15% per month.

Think if your filtration can deal with the waste products, water changes can introduce instability rather then help..

I am leaning to no/very little water changes in my new/next system but need to do more reading as I also did a reset of consumed elements with water changes (rather than dilution of waste products) so monitoring and replacement of used "chemicals" will be the key focus.

Definitely not simple, or a beginner proof approach.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

X
    You can do a good waterchange versus a bad waterchange and that can make a huge difference too.

A good waterchange is done with same temp water that has been airated, salt dissolved properly, correct salinity

A good waterchange is done slowly ( why do we acclimatise fish to avoid shock and stress but do quick large waterchanges which is tantamount to non acclimatisation ?)

If you want to do quick waterchanges smaller more regular ones will do the trick.

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

What would have been defined as improvements? What did you test for? What water did you use? How did you do the waterchanges?

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How?
    I do not understand how a 1.43% water change daily can cause instability?

10% a week, divided by 7, works out to 1.43% daily.

Even if the temperature, salinity, PH, or whatever is not the same, It will be so a minute impact.

What would you guys say if I do a 10% water change with water that is 5 degrees different than my display? Is that crazy? What would be the impact?

Well doing that daily water change with water that is 10 Degrees different, that would change the total temperature by 0.14 degree? adding that to the beginnig of the sump, by the time it passed the heater and the return pump it is of no impact.

I do not understand that the other day it was said that weekly water changes do not have enough chemical impact to be able to lower the nitrates and phosphates, therefor it is useless or pointless doing it. Now, doing a 1.43% change will cause an imbalance.

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

Good points. Sometimes we should be careful what we say on various threads. If we contradict ourselves or our standpoints on various topics appear to be contradictory it would appear that we do not hold a specific viewpoint or opinion based on fact or experience but rather to elevate ourselves by being opinionated.

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

How do you reset ionic imbalance on your tank with the eight year old water?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Doing a water change with a completely different type of salt, with radical different chemical make-up. That can lead to an imbalance. then the next change with another brand that differs again a lot in it chemical make-up. That is why its also advocated to choose a salt brand and to stick with it. And when changing over, to mix the old and new salts slowly increasing each time the new salt percentage. something like three quarter old salt and a quarter new salt mix for the first change. Then a 50/50 mix, then the last changeover of quarter old to 3/4 new.

But I take it that this thread is not about the change of salt brands. But what would be the impact of a 1.43% water change per day.

21. mandarinman

mandarinman

A different salt might or might not cause an ionic imbalance. Who is to say if we cannot test ionic imbalance

Recent Posts