Watch your water, there be evil in it

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 11 Apr 2012.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok, so i have been investigating water chemistry alot of late and come across some interesting info regarding our tap water and its toxicity for marine animals, let me start off by saying the following
    CHECK AND SERVICE YOUR RO UNITS!

Rand water treats our water to make it safe for human consumption, but not all the process are fish friendly. some might have noticed the increase in diatoms and nusiance algae's of late and having gotten the reports from the water board there are some things i should mention.

One of the ways to treat water is with chlorine, while this works but usually disapates after a few days, they are using chloramines, specifically monochloramine, now chloramines are not the easiest to remove, we need to make sure they are, so your pre-filter and activated carbon need to be kept clean and replaced as per manufacturer, these are the first line of defense, and the RO membrane will remove most of the residual, what we need is also a ion resin to remove the last of the monochloramines and free chlorine, we can also aerate the RO before using.
    monochloramine are toxic to fish mostly and we need 0.01ppm, seachems alpha i think also works well

the second issue that concerns us is the use of sodium silicate, i think at this time of year they are uping the dosages and the "weakened" RO units are not removing the silicates and silicic acid as well as they should.

so just a heads up to test your RO and make sure you have 0 tds

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

thanks i usually test every batch of water that i make

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What make of chlormine test kit do you use? Where did you get it from?

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I think he just test the TDS out of the RO unit.

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole heap here. The tests of that water is almost 9 months old. If it was really that big of an issue our fish would have died by now and not just manifested via nuisance algae. And your toxicity level for fish might be wrong. I found this
    "It has been estimated that the safe level of Chloramine for aquatic life is somewhere between 0.002 ppm and 0.005 ppm, anything above this can be toxic especially if your tank inhabitants are exposed to higher levels daily."

A RO tds reading of less than 5 is fine to use.

8. Wes

Wes

I think the least checked water is that that comes out of our RO units, Cause i for one don't test it. I expect everything to be clear when it comes out. I think it raises some very valid points. Water quality is getting worse, and will continue to get worse due to the lack of funding for the guys involved in cleaning our water, or keeping it clean due to the clever guys who dug up the mine shafts a number of years ago and used archaic methods to remove acidic substances out of these mine shafts.

Acid mine drainage is a phenomenon that begins when rising groundwater floods into old mine shafts and tunnels. During mining operations, this water is normally pumped out. But when the mines are abandoned, there is nothing to stop the water from flooding through the mine shafts. This water causes an oxidation of metal sulfides in pyrite in the surrounding rock, and the resulting product is a highly acidic water – often filled with toxic heavy metals – that decants toward the surface as the mine shafts become deluged.

9. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

This was info I got from them while researching, but I didn't force anyone to do anything just a suggestion.

With regards to testing, I think the most reliable test is the HACH CN-70

10. magman

magman

check Marcels thread, he has been posting lots about chlormines in our waters

Recent Posts