Was Just Wondering

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Q89, 28 Nov 2010.

1. Q89

Q89

I was wondering, if you have a 30L marine aquarium with just a few corals and one fish, you feed very little, and do a 10% W/C everyday(3L, which is not much).
    Do you still need to run a skimmer or can you just run a HOB filter with filter floss or something in that line?

What do you guys think?

Q

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q89

Q89 Thread Starter

Anyone?:whistling:

4. lIghty

lIghty

It should be fine, just take your time before adding the fish, let it cycle properly.

perhaps a small internal filter would be good.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

internal filter is more reliable. You can have filter floss, carbon, phosphate reductor and ceramic rings but you will have to change the filter floss regularly and clean 25% of the ceramic rings or bio balls every 3 months. Get a nice big cannister filter :) ...
    I saw that reeftek or reefocto make hang on refugiums, maybe you should have a look at these and have some macro algae in there to help with the nutrient export :) .. Sure you could modify a hang on filter to do this

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Would be great if you could get clean saltwater from ur local aquarium, I do 10% every couple of days on my clown hatchery and if I had to buy salt and RO water.....I would have to be rich

7. xtreme

xtreme

On your tank you can remove your skimmer and connect the top hang filter again and run purigen but remember you must do 10% water change every weekend

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, can be done.
    But, i pressume on this small system that you will not have a Auto top up unit.

Then the problem is the manual daily RO top-up. It must be done BEFORE you do the water change. Else you end up doing you top up while you are doing the water change. And eventually your salt level will rise.

9. lv

lv

It works great, I had my little 30l Aqua H2o tank on my desk at work for more than a year. Its the one with the in lid filter, just replace your filter medium once every 3 to 4 months. It's much easier if you make little bags from your wifes old stockings and replace it one bag at a time, I had 3 bags per filter media and one at a time over a weeks. Weekly water changes and salinity checks is a must.

Recent Posts