Wanting to start

Discussion in 'New Members' started by spillay, 23 Jun 2013.

1. spillay

spillay

Hi All,

Reason for me joining is not really for me but my dad who is now 62, I live 7000 km away in West Africa on a Long Term Assignment but from Gauteng (Joburg) to be exact.

I have some knowledge into Aquariums as I owned 2 fresh water tanks successfully over the years.

So I am coming down for my kids summer holidays next month (winter in SA :()

Now you may ask for my dad, well its like this, my mum passed away 4 months ago, now the old man after being married for decades is lonely, at his age its tough. So I spoke to him and told him you need to find a hobby, it will keep you occupied and give you something to pass time.

He has always been a huge fan of the marine/reef tank world but never got that chance to get into it.

So as a hobby/gift to him, I want to start him up with a marine set-up, what I am looking for something like the RSM Tanks but as starting off, not sure I want to invest 20 - 40K. Something simpler would work though, something like the Nuvo Tanks from Innovative marine.

Where can I find the Nuvo Tanks or are there other recommendations from the experts on this forum?

I dont want something massive that is going to be complex and difficult for him to work with but rather a Fish Only tank for now and then we can see how it goes and then grow into Coral etc.

As I am out of SA now for almost 7 years so not sure where all the Aquarium shops in JHB, so your advice would be great.

Budget is very flexible and I am interested in the highquality products thats not going to fail after a few weeks. I have been reading about a lot of "Plug and Play" marine tanks, maybe you guys/gals can help on this as well.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zakiyya

zakiyya

Hi i suggest going and seeing Bryan from Jungle Aquatics he is in Bryanston but posts out anything we need and always replies to his sms's even after hours on weekends. He is extremely helpful and always willing to go that extra mile. He got from him a RSM250L and haven't had any issues with it. Its plug and play.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and welcome.

First, your dad needs to understand the extra work involved in keeping a marine system. Unless you do the setup is such a way that he can do the RO chamber topup and water changes easily. Those 20L drums gets heavy. Not sure on the physical strength your dad still have.

Unless you can organize a maintenance company to help him out.

Anyway, look at the sponsors page. In Centurion Dorry Pets do have nice simple startup systems. Base around a system of about 250L. That you can upgrade or change as your wallet allows.

Pet Stop in Pretoria as well.

Top end systems form Idol Marine.

But I strongly suggest that you dad do go around to these shops, plus some reefers systems, to really understand what he is about to let himself into. Before commiting.

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:welcome6:

6. the fish

the fish

masahello

7. Dorry

Dorry dorry

:welcometomasa2:

8. Zandy

Zandy

Welcome ...and enjoy

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the Forum

10. spillay

spillay Thread Starter

Hi Riaan,

Fully agreed and good advice on this point.Luckily, I have 2 brothers who can help him out with the extra work.

We will visit these shops, I remember years back one in Boksburg that I used to visit a lot on weekends. Will check if its still there as well.

11. mahi-mahi

mahi-mahi

Welcome ...enjoy your journey

Recent Posts