Wanting to start nano. Help needed.

Reaction score
Hi all i am wanting to sell my RSM250 and start a 2ft nano. I have a few questions which i am unsure of with regards to a nano.

1) What equipment will i need. Do i need a filter more than a skimmer or visa versa? Thinking of running a bubble magus QQ2.

2) I will be doing a water change twice a month once every 2 weeks. would this be substantial?

3) If a filter is needed would you recommend just running cheato in a hang on back or a canister fulled with matrix?

4) Lighting. I am wanting to go with LED lighting but am unsure that the Zetlight ZA1201 will be substantial. Other option i was looking at is a Aqua Knight A30 30w not sure if anyone has used one of these but seem to get good reviews besides having the same 18inch radias as the Zetlight. It will mainly be a Softy and LPS tank.

I am trying to do this on a budget so will be buying the lighting and skimmer first along with the 2ft tank. Already have rock and aragonite from my original tank. Yet my main concern is filtration. Will the skimmer do a good enough job to maintain water quality with water changes. or is a filter essential from day one rather than a skimmer?

Reaction score
Both light are rated at a max of 50cm x 50cm and the tank im getting will be 60cm x 36cm. Would it work if i just centered my corals more and kept them within that radius. maybe grow some mushrooms on the outsides?

Reaction score
To be honest each reef system is different so for us telling you buy this and that might not work for you as it did for us.People had great success with all these above method
IMO get the right light the right flow stock tank slowly do weekly waterchange test alot to understand the tank as the tank start getting fully stocked than only when you can't keep up wth nutritions through waterchanges only thn we willl start adding help like refugium skimmer etc etc. Only IMO

Reaction score
By then also you did already read over enough on tanks your size and what different thing ppl did on it so you'll know what to do and how to do it by then

Reaction score
To be honest each reef system is different so for us telling you buy this and that might not work for you as it did for us.People had great success with all these above method IMO get the right light the right flow stock tank slowly do weekly waterchange test alot to understand the tank as the tank start getting fully stocked than only when you can't keep up wth nutritions through waterchanges only thn we willl start adding help like refugium skimmer etc etc. Only IMO
To be honest each reef system is different so for us telling you buy this and that might not work for you as it did for us.People had great success with all these above method
IMO get the right light the right flow stock tank slowly do weekly waterchange test alot to understand the tank as the tank start getting fully stocked than only when you can't keep up wth nutritions through waterchanges only thn we willl start adding help like refugium skimmer etc etc. Only IMO
Okay cool, So would you recommend i just get started. And sort of fix the issues as i go? I have a frogspawn and hammer coral and then two clowns would this be to quick to add. I am wanting to use live rock and 50% water from my old tank as well.

The main issues im worried about is what LEDs i can use. From the 2 mentioned they have the same max tank size of 50cm where as mine will be 60cm.

Thanks for the feed back.

Reaction score
my 10c, lighting is very important for reef setup, the Z1201 would work if this was a fish only system.
If i were you i would browse the 2nd hand section and see if an UFO or Z6xxx range pops up at a good price.

My tank is also a 2ft(60cm) and i feel that i might need another Hydra on the tank as there is some shaded areas.

With regards to filtration, depending on your bio load, the QQ will not provide sufficient removal of waste. A 2nd hand BM curve 5 might set you back 1000- 1500 and will be more than enough.
I would also keep your current Zet 1201 and add some macro algae in the sump

Reaction score
If your tank is done cycling you can add livestock yes after that test and wait a while before adding again testing alot wil help you see a change coming sooner so that it can be approached in right manner so yes after tank is cycled I wil let it sit a week or two in that time I'll add some pods mix cuc than other livestock by than you'll have your plans all written down on a page and start adding and adjusting tank to your liking
On those light I don't have much experience so I can't help there but what I do know rather spend the extra on the right light and know your shorted in future