[wtd] Wanted: Volitan or Radiata Lionfish

vin

Reaction score
I am looking for a small to medium sized Volitan or Radiata Lionfish.
Looking for a healthy Lionfish. Must be eating frozen seafoods as well and eating well in aquarium.
If you in the Cape Town area and you have one or you know of someone who is wanting to sell theres please let me know.
Thx

I had 2 Lionfish for over 6 years who were both weaned onto Frozen seafoods. Calamari, shrimps, mussels, squid, krill, fish flesh.
They ate it all.
My Zebra Moray which i have had for years now eats the same frozen foods as well.
I have another Lion now as well which is on Frozen foods. Looking for another one now.

never heard or seen lion fish eat frozen. they are live feeders. good luck with this.

My Inlaw had one eating whole cubes of Marine Mix which he filtered out his gills for the rest of the fish in the tank. Had it for 1 year before eventually giving it away due to attacking a fellow reefmate twice his size!

Last edited:
never heard or seen lion fish eat frozen. they are live feeders. good luck with this.
Its a process but can be done
Honestly better for the fish IMO it ensures he gets variety in his diet because most of the time if they feed on live fish they are fed goldfish in captivity, if I lived in the ocean I wouldn't want to eat goldfish the rest of my life:)

@Reefhead you 100% correct in the statements you made.
Best for all predators to be on seafoods as its there natural food source in the ocean.
Lionfish fed exclusively on live freshwater fish such as Guppys or Goldfish do not last very long in the aquarium hence its best to get them on Seafoods as soon as one can.
I have had one Lion in the past bought at the lfs that refused to recognise frozen foods as it was accustomed to eating Live guppys in the store and 3 months later it did not make it.
The other Lions i have all on mixed Frozen foods including my Eels and i have had them for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Reefhead you 100% correct in the statements you made.
Best for all predators to be on seafoods as its there natural food source in the ocean.
Lionfish fed exclusively on live freshwater fish such as Guppys or Goldfish do not last very long in the aquarium hence its best to get them on Seafoods as soon as one can.
I have had one Lion in the past bought at the lfs that refused to recognise frozen foods as it was accustomed to eating Live guppys in the store and 3 months later it did not make it.
The other Lions i have all on mixed Frozen foods including my Eels and i have had them for years.
I had the same problem with my bluespot ray, he was fed in the holding tanks (of the lfs supplier) on freshwater fish, so he was sold as eating, which is true but I would have rather bought him as not eating then eating freshwater fish. To move him from freshwater fish to dead shrimp, etc. took for ages.

Yeah when i bought my Zebra Moray he refused to eat for 3 months. Its a long process for some predators to take to frozen seafoods but after 3 months i put the feeding stick in the tank with Calamari strips and he took it. Over 4 years later now and his still healthy and eating very well.
Its rather a hit or miss thing when one purchases predators from the lfs.
Alot depends on the individual fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom