Wanted: Snowflake Eel

Reaction score
Hi there, im looking for a Small (30cm or less) Snowflake Eel. If anybody has one to trade or sell, or even to give please let me know tnx. Would pay shipping.

That's a beautiful animal, there might be one at a place here in boksburg, will call for u tomorrow
Posted via Mobile Device

i saw a couple of ribbon eels today. Cool eels, but poor creatures don't have a great chance in captivity :(

ribbons are hard to keep...
one of those ornamentals that are caught for the un-educated

If you ever come to Durban I will show you were to catch them.

I asked Mek and he said he would catch me one when he goes diving again, as for me I wouldn't even know where to start with when diving with you guyz, all I do is snorkel :p. But im open to all things, I would really love a Snowflake Eel. I got quoted R450 here in East London. Just simply do not have that for a local caught specimant :/

Are these legal to catch? I would love to get one. What form does one need to ask for at the post office for collection?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dallas, visit the post office and get a permit for Marine Aquarium fish.

Thanks Mekaeel
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi there, im looking for a Small (30cm or less) Snowflake Eel. If anybody has one to trade or sell, or even to give please let me know tnx. Would pay shipping.

You know that it's not invertebrate friendly and will devour small fish, shrimps and crabs?

Yea i believe so, but thats fine i dont have shrimps nor are my fish small.

They are best kept in a 4 foot or bigger tank with preferrably pieces of pipe to hide in to feel secure. Otherwise they might try to "escape". Also be carefull when feeding them - their teeth are pointed backwards to hold on to pray and can inflict a painfull bite if fed by hand. They even go into a death roll when they caught pray - must be quite a sight to see :)

I corrected my previous post before u quoted :p. I have NO inverts at all. As for the Death Grip, WELL now u know why i want a baby :p. My tank is big and mature enough to keep this speciman, I can also provide it live food if need be as im 5mins away from the beach :D

I corrected my previous post before u quoted :p. I have NO inverts at all. As for the Death Grip, WELL now u know why i want a baby :p. My tank is big and mature enough to keep this speciman, I can also provide it live food if need be as im 5mins away from the beach :D

Babies also grow up :p - the adults can grow to an average 75cm. I also love them, but I like a tank with lots of inverts - so I can't keep them :(
Maybe I'll set up a species spesific tank one day ;)

Good luck in finding one... or even better - a pair :)

I asked Mek and he said he would catch me one when he goes diving again, as for me I wouldn't even know where to start with when diving with you guyz, all I do is snorkel :p. But im open to all things, I would really love a Snowflake Eel. I got quoted R450 here in East London. Just simply do not have that for a local caught specimant :/

You don't need to dive to get them, I have seen plenty in less the 20cm of water.

the problem is feeding these guys. can they be taught to take frozen food?
and what live food do they actually eat? other than inverts. lol
small fish? if so what kind?

Best way is to coax them as we did with my brothers 30cm Lionfish, starve them for a few day's then slowly get them use to new food. We have done this for the past year and it actually works really well.

Back
Top Bottom