want to upgrade

Discussion in 'Photography' started by crispin, 28 Apr 2011.

1. crispin

crispin

i have a cannon 400D thats served me well but ive outlived its use and now its seriously irratating me not to have crisp clear shot. So id like to upgrade and was wondering what cannon bodies you guys would suggest.

id like to go 5D mark II but are there other sugestions i should look at?

which lenses would you suggest for standard portrains and a decent outdoor 300-400mm zoom?

selling house will buy camera sort of deal :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The 5DII is a very nice body. Great image quality at high ISO as well. Only thing for portraits is that it does not have a built in flash so a speedlite is needed. But for good portraits the built in flash is useless in anyway.

There are rumours that the new 5D mark 3 will come in this year still so you might want to wait for that one. They have boosted the max ISO from 25,600 - 102,400 which means the ISO 6400 and 12800 should be very usable.

For the longer range, the new 70-300 L IS USM is a great new lens. Small but great image quality. The 100 - 400L IS USM is also nice even though its a older lens. If you know that you are exclusivly going to use the zoom lens at the 400mm mark then it might be better to either go for a 400 F5.6 or a 300 F4 with a 1.4 converter. Both give as good if not better image quality compared to the 100-400 zoom. I have the 100-400 zoom purely because of the versatility.

On the portrait lens, a 24 -70 F2.8 L USM is nice but does not have IS. The 24-105 F4 L IS USM for me is a more versatile travel lens since it has IS. If you are looking at primes then the 85 F1.8 could be a good choice on a full frame camera such as the 5DII. The rumour is also out that they will launch a new 24-105 F4 IS USM lens with the new 5D mark 3. But it is still only rumours though.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Oh, I saw the heading and though you want to upgrade the tank...

5. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

thanks marius, ill read up on those suggestions, much appreciated.

lol riaan no need to upgrade my tank its about where i want it at the mo....so now its just to get my other tanks in and make them pretty too.

i'll spend the cash on a decent camera i think :)

6. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

what are the thoughts regarding a 5d mark III and a 1ds mark III. leaving price out of it for now which would you reccomend.

can anyone give me a basic rundown on full frame camera bodies and cropped frame?

7. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Well in short the 5DIII is still a rumour so no one really knows what the specs will be when they release it. But from the rumours it will be pretty awesome. Very much the same as the current 1D range without the faster frame rate.

Cropped VS full frame...... A lengthy explanation but here is a nice link
    http://www.digital-photography-school.com/full-frame-sensor-vs-crop-sensor-which-is-right-for-you

In short a cropped factor gives you more reach out of a lens. Lets say you take a photo of a fish and it fills the whole frame using a camera body with a cropped factor of 1.6 (typical canon) and you used a lens of 100mm. Now to get the exact same image (fish to fill the whole frame) on a full frame body you would need a 160mm lens when taken from the exact same distance.

So in my opinion for stuff like wildlife a cropped bosy is nice as I cant afford the moerse long prime lenses. So my cheaper 400mm lens gives me the same reach as the very expensive 600mm lens.

Quality of images between the 2 is a different story. The noise levels produced by a full frame camera is far less than on a cropped body.

So whether to go for full frame or a cropped body I would say depends on the actual type of photography you want to do. For very near perfect images go fullframe, and if you want to do wildlife with it and have the money for the long primes then perfect. But if you dont have the bucks and you want some long reach then a cropped body is the nicer one.

But a lot also depends on the quality of the lenses. Thats another long story.....

Reef Maniac likes this.
  8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

True - BUT you can achieve the same by cropping the "full size" image on your computer afterwards - and if you shot in Raw the cropped image would still have less noise/better image quality than the one taken with the crop-factor body (given the same pixel density...). The greatest advantage of a "full size" camera is the increased "wide angle", rather than the decreased "telephoto", when comparing the two types of bodies using the same lens - it is always possible to zoom in digitally (by cropping), but it is impossible to capture anything outside (wider) than what the field of view allow.

Amen.

9. seank

seank

:lol: @ Hennie and Marius

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  10. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

my head is spinning with looking and learning about different lenses and bodies. its down to either 5d mark II (yes the III does sound like it will tick all the boxes but its going to be a while) or the 1ds mark III.

although looking at the cost of bodies, i am leaning towards the 5d and using the price differencial on L series lenses, or speed lights. I think a full frame body will suite my desires for macro photography, although the 1D is supposed to be excelent at higher ISO's. With my enjoyment of shooting macro in low light situations (inside beehives and tanks in particular) i swing back towards the 1D :(

Lenses also have me swimming without arm bands:( its like learning about the inner workings of a DLSB all over again. Could someone give me laymans terms on prime vs zoom lenses?

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A prime is fixed focal length. And zoom well is a zoom. Primes tend to be sharper than their zoom siblings at the same focal length. Primes also comes in lower f-stops which means that they let is more light and that means you can get a better shutter speed at a lower ISO. But then again a lower f-stop means a very shallow depth of field (area which is in focus).

But for macro you want a nice low f-stop so that you can get that insect with the eye in focus and the rest out of focus.

12. seank

seank

:thumbup: Go for it, you'll be sorry later if you did not

13. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok, that was ummm very simplified :) but thanks none the less.

i shot with a prime 400mm a few months ago (bird) and enjoyed it, indeed i managed a few passable pics, but i do prefer the versatility of zoom over longer reaches. so i'll look at the zooms for that. although the EF28-300 f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM lense i was looking at doesnt have the greatest reviews. Any other reccomendations on a zoom in and around the 300-400mm range?

for shorter distances and portrait work should I look at primes then, say the 35mm or an 85mm L series, both primes?

14. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

and then theres speed lights or flash.

the 580ex II is about the same price as the 580ex with a number of advances so thats a definate possibility, but the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite looks like a fantastioc toy to play with. but i can only afford one. would the 580EXII be more versatile with regards to portrait and macro photography, while the 24Ex just applicable to macro and id have to use the cameras built in flash otherwise?

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I use the 100-400 L lens and I like it. For portraits the short primes are awesome. On a full frame I would say 50mm and 85 is a nice range for head shots etc. Anther option is the 24-70 F2.8. Very nice lens for portraits and it is pretty sharp throughout. I used the 85mm F1.8 recently for my tank shots and love that lens. I also want to get a 50mm F1.4 for pics of our upcoming offspring.

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

IMHO, Bang for Buck, you would do better with a 5DmkII and a few "L" lenses than with the 1D and only one lens - at least for the first 150 000 shots (as that's about the shutter life of the 5D, but double that on the 1D, if I remember correctly).

I looked at one, and it is HUGE and HEAVY. The maximum aperture is also not great, and you will curse it when shooting in low light.

I have opted for the 70-200 f:2.8 (which I'm VERY happy with), and am planning to supplement it with the 100-400 when I have some spare cash.

Oh, I lust after the 85mm f:1.2, but will probably never buy one. I don't think that the 35mm will be very good for portraits, as on a full sensor body it is quite wide. Personally, I'm pretty happy with using my 100mm macro as a portrait lens (and it is a MUST for you if you want to do macro...). I opted for the 24-105mm f:4 L as my "normal" lens - purely because I became impatient after months of waiting for the 24-70 f:2.8 to be brought back into the country. I'm pretty happy with this lens, but would have been happier still if I could have gotten the f:2.8.

I have news for you: neither the 5d or the 1D have a built-in flash

I have the 580 EXII, and it is a great flash, BUT I have never been able to use it for proper macro photography - so, if macro is your passion, rather get the ring flash, or the Twin Light. Chasing bees, I would guess that the ring flash would be more compact and useful, but if you are going to shoot more stationary "models" the Twin Light would be slightly more versatile. Personally, I have the ring flash marked as my next purchase...

Hennie

17. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

My basic needs as amature photographer (i seriously doubt i want to sell images) but i am really enjoying photography and want good to perfect images:)

I shoot mainly aquariums, bees and close range people, with some landscape thrown in.

the 5d MarkII sounds great. 21 Mpx and video option, full frame etc.But lots of people say that the 1d's Auto focus is just fantastic. thats of intetrest to me due to macro photography and fast moving insects or fish. Or taking pics of children (i run a kindergarden) and they are actually fast moving little people:) do you think the AF issues on the 5d are realy that bad, or better put that the 1D is THAT much better?

the 1D is expensive, doesnt do vid (minor consideration but a consideration none the less) is cropped lense (not that important to me with regards to wildlife reach) but its great at low light (iso changes as opposed to app settings on lense) and has incredible AF.

based on what hennie said i'll go with the 5D markII

which would u suggest?

lense sound difficult to figure a little as well. I have the 100mm EF 2.8 USM macro already and will stick with that rather than going L series. But for the rest id like to go L series for the most part.

Zoom lenses I am looking at
    • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    or
    • Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    the 24-105 gets great reviews, but am i likley to find a need for 16mm? my thoughts being that i can get away with 24mm and have more versatility up to 105mm?

• Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM is an option but doesnt get great reviews:( not tack sharp as they say.
    I'll hunt down the 100-400mm L series as my general zoom option.

would a Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM be a lense to replace them all? its hecticly expensive but would it function as a good average and just have the one lense or will i be missing a 24-105mm lense at times?
    can u suggest alternatives to this list?

primes. This is an aspect i am at sea with as i dont realy see the advantages of primes over zooms (other than low light, wide appature and great quality.) but in the function of taking pics of kids playing, or a wedding setting for example, would a Canon EF 35mm f/2 be a good bet, although this isnt a L series lense the reviews place it as good if not better than the lseries and its substancially cheaper? I'm likely to look at one of these anyway as a landscape wide angle lense and as not L series its not a bank breaker

then there is a Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM which is a chunk of change but said to be a great portrait lense. would I however not get good enough results covered within the 24-105mm lense already though? I'll look at getting this even if its around 1700 US. Id rather keep the prices in dollars as 1700 doesnt look as bad as me converting it:(

nasty cannon making me spend additional cash by not providing a flash with the camera. i think a ring light will be the way for me....any ideas on whats thats like on tank photography (or should i just get plazma lights foir the tanks and say its cause the corals need it to grow) :)

thanks for the help guys, seriously appreciated.

ive been enjoying a number of sites while researching but this one has helped alot. Just for info incase you havent seen it b4 Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com!

Last edited: 8 Jun 2011
  18. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok you guys have answered most of my questions already, deeply appreciated, im just going to go back and put it all together :)

19. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I also use the 24-105 as my general lens and love it. F4 is not that great for tank shots as you need to pump up the ISO to get a fast shutter speed. That is why the 85 F1.8 is so nice. R3300 and great for tank shots. But then again the 100 F2.8 L IS is great.

The 24mm on a full frame is pretty wide and will fulfill 85% of you wide angle needs. 16 is extremely wide but also awesome. I used a 10mm recently on my 1.6 crop body and I would also like to get one.

The 28-300 is a very old lens and not sure how easy it will be to find one. I generally find that lens a bit of an odd one as you dont want to lug that big lens around everywhere you go.

20. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

ok awesum, ill go with
    cannon 5D mark II
    as general purpose lense the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    for zoom 100mm-400mm L series
    for wide angle Canon EF 35mm f/2 non L series
    for portrait Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    For macro stick with the 100mm 2.8 i have already.

additional lighting macro ring light (i think, still not certain over the 580 EXII)

now to find the stuff in Europe, any ideas :)

21. crispin

crispin Thread Starter

thank you so much for your help guys, its been great fun 'virtual shopping' :)

Recent Posts