want to upgrade not sure what to get

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by reef addict, 13 Jul 2013.

1. reef addict

reef addict

i currently have a aquaria AMW 37 and want to upgrade any suggestions on tanks. I am currently looking at a buyo tl550. Any suggestions welcome, also the buyo range is it only the Tl range that are complete plug and plays

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

As far as i know all Boyus are plug and play. Havent seen one that is not. Nice little systems

4. Zandy

Zandy

Or Red Sea if you want the "Rolls Royce"

5. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

all these plug n.play jobbies are a waste of money IMHO.
    I would go for a custom made tank with everything planned my way.
    Thats what I would do.

6. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

I agree with @Ridwaan. You pay a lot for all these little tank and you end up having to upgrade and mod these tanks to you needs which builds up even more cost. Why not get a tank made for probably the same price and you end up not having to do anything to the tank itself and more happy as you have exactly what you want.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Bendor

Bendor

Plug and play definitely has it's place. One of the biggest reasons is the finish. Many people do DIY and for the same size they do come out cheaper but the tank finish looks crap. So if you want to compare apples with apples you should take the price of the plug in play tank with possible additional equipment and then compare to a DIY that is fully finished with a proper cabinet (not some backyard job) and hood. Also many of the plug and play tanks have curved front corners which is not possible with DIY.

I like both a lot and each has merit but make sure you know what you want because "saving money" and going bigger on the display tank (and then everything else by default) often means there is not enough cash left to do the finish or the stocking properly.

Zandy is selling a second hand RSM 130 for R3500. That's a steal in my opinion!

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What corals do you want at the end of the build?
    Softies dominated? SPS and clams?

Note that plug and play have T5 or PL lights, normally not enough for SPS or clams. And if you want those corals you need to remove the hood to fit either proper MH T5 combo or LEDS. MH, will lead to heat issues. So keep that in mind.

9. reef addict

reef addict Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! Its a tough decision I also got to take space into consideration!

10. reef addict

Hi there bud! Softies mainly yes!

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Softies, then you can keep the lid and lights of the plug and play systems.

Did you check the for sale threads, there are a couple TL550 and also smaller DIY systems available

12. Bendor

Bendor

Zandy Zandy Zandy... RSM 130

13. devesh.r

devesh.r

My opinion is get a nano with a sump man. Get a local pet shop to build you one to ur specs.

14. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

Remember you will advance as a hobbyist and will probably end up trying out an sps or lps frag.

15. Snoek

Snoek

As Riaan said: it all depends on what coral you want to keep but just remember you are very limited to the number of fish you can keep in small system. I bought an Aquaria 1m tank two months ago and already I am wanting to place an order for a 1.5m tank.

16. Fred d

Fred d

As was noted already , you need to consider what fish and corals you would like to keep and then use this as a starting point . while the plug and play units are much more pleasing to the eye , the hardware you get in these units are most always sub standard ... just ask @Snoek .

personally I prefer DIY but that choice is personal .
    The reason for my preference is I can get exactly the size of tank I want with the correct high quality hardware and if you're willing to pay a good carpenter a few rands you could end up with a setup built with awesome build finish .

You could do a corner overflow , full width overflow , small sump , big sump , with as many chambers as you want of the sizes you want even have the sump include a chamber for your auto top up ... no more searching for a skimmer to fit into a sump with limited dimensions or no space for reactors or a filter sock and bracket ... what's more you could plan your setup with a wiring board and switches ... no more multiplugs hiding under the sump

THE OPTIONS ARE ENDLESS

example : an aquaria 1.5 meter setup with almost no hardware could cost you a lot more than R10 000 just ask @Snoek . do the math bud ... I'm sure you could have a really nice setup build done for a better price than a plug and play unit .

But hey , that's just my opinion

17. Bendor

Bendor

I agree wih Fred. Just make sure if you go DIY that you sit down with a friendly experienced DIY reefer and make a list of everything you need/want. Don't imagine prices for possible skimmers you may be getting. Decide and get quotes on all of it, including that nice cupboard and hood with all the trimmings.

Too many people lose suction in his hobby because of unexpected costs that could have been foreseen.

Looking forward to see your new tank! Aim to the moon (just remember the skimmer)!

18. reef addict

ok guys guys i have slept on it and have decided to go DIY. i have a friend of a friend who is a reef builder actually makes fish tanks for a living. so i am going to get him to design me a tank on computer and go from there. thanks for all the advice, its helped make my mind up. thinking of going for a 300L cube

19. reef addict

Ja going to do that, have a friend who can build me one. going with a cube to my specs and black silicone. around 300L. slept on it and decided, don't know why i did not go that route before.

20. reef addict

If any body knows of somebody that can build a cube tank in The East London Port Elizabet area. Please let me know, the chap who I was going to ask can't help me

21. Bendor

Bendor

Recent Posts