Want to get back into the hobby. Some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Matt, 22 Dec 2013.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Hi all

It's been a long time since i've kept a marine tank and I do miss it! However with time constraints I would really want a pretty easy maintenance system.

I was thinking of getting a nice nano for work - that way i'd get to see it more often than not. Ideally I would love if it was modern looking and relatively plug and play (no big mission choosing equipment etc), I would like to keep a pair of nice clowns (perhaps b&w ocellaris, snowflakes or perhaps even picasso's if I could find some), and some clean up crew, a nice pretty scape and simple corals (softies mainly).

Are there any nano systems available in SA these days that have most of the kinks worked out? I remember starting with a 24G JBJ Nano Cube that would constantly overheat. Then getting a TL 550 that was slightly taller than it was wide and well underpowered with regards to lighting. Again I had temperature issues when upgrading the lights.

Would LED lights be the way to go as they produce less heat? Would I be able to get away without using a chiller?

I've also read lately there's huge debates going on about water changes etc?

If any of my old friends on here (or anyone else for that matter) would care to lend their 2c i'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks all

Matt

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Hey man welcome back. You get the Boyu TL550 now with a led canopy so i think thats one of the better nanos at the moment or you can have a look at Aquaria's nano as well. Yes smaller tanks need more regular water changes if heavily stocked. If you place fans in the back filtration compartments of the nano tanks then no need for a chiller.

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi matt, welcome back!

The "better" option these days is to get one of the starphire cube nano tanks...
    They come as bare tanks, or pre fitted with skimmer, heater, pump etc, then you just choose your own light unit.
    There are quite a variety of nano led units available lately. (Led's are definitely the way to go with nano tanks nowadays as they are able to keep ALL corals, & only generates a small amount of heat) thus, no chiller is needed.

For an office tank, I would suggest a <100liter starphire all in one cube.
    Skimmer: bubble magus nac qq (awesome & reliable skimmer) & very neat
    Led: maxspect razor nano 60W (comes with bracket, so very easy to install) & has onboard controller to set all led channels to any brightness, any time of day.
    Heater: 75-100w eheim jager heater (most reliable on market currently, & lasts nearly forever)

The rest is the livestock, & i'm pretty sure you know what to do with that, lol.

Will post some pics/links now as examples...

Last edited: 22 Dec 2013
  5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

45 Starfire Nano Cubes - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Or something like this
    Has Fluval given the hobby the best all in one nano reef system? | NanoReefBlog

An example of one of these tanks...
    There are a couple retailers that sell similar tanks, & they are a lot easier to upgrade than boyu tanks, & doesnt scratch at all (unless you getting out the sanding paper, lol

Regarding the "water change debacle".
    Most of the argument regarding water changes is more around large tanks... The argument is that reefkeeping has become so "easy/efficient" nowadays with larger tanks that it is not required to do waterchanges anymore, & in some tanks, the corals will actually be happier without waterchanges than with them...

With nano tanks, it is still however recommended to do regular waterchanges to keep everything happy in a nano.

Another breakthrough in marines is definitely the orca biocubes... Easiest & most efficient way to remove nitrates in a marine tank, & keep them that low for +- a year!

Last edited: 22 Dec 2013
  6. spillay

spillay

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Istio

Istio

IME (and wituhout starting one of the oldest debates), if you want a low maintenance aquarium, forget about substrate and go bare botttom...

9. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

@RiaanP thank you... @Matt you are more than welcome to pm,call,or visit me to discuss one or two options :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts