Want to get back into hobby, BUT!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GBR, 14 Jun 2013.

1. GBR

GBR

Hi all

I'm new on the forum.. I have been one of lucky guys to be in this hobby before.
    Ive kept marine mixed reef a few years back.. I'm now dying to get back into the hobby.. BUT and this is my concern.. I want a biggish tank about 750 litres or more and I've got a couple of quote from the sponsors. I jus find the prices to be way more than I can afford ranging from 50k to 100k.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on how to achieve this tank.
    Without breaking the bank.. I'm not a DIY type of guy.. And I'd prefer to start with a brand new tank.. Please HELP???????????????????:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The price is all related to how many gadgets you want to add to the system. Automating a system is quite expensive but not needed in the beginning.

To save some costs you can look at second hand equipment and start off with the basics and gradually upgrade as you go along. You don't need expensive wave makers, LEDs and computerised equipment in the beginning. The only thing that I qould suggest you get right from the start is the skimmer. The actual tank cost will also depend on if you are using starfire glass or normal as starfire is very expensive as well.

What type of lighting was included in the quote? LEDs are very expensive compared to T5 etc.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2013
  4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Welcome to MASA.

Have a look at the for sale section, there are a few tanks up for sale.
    Buying a tank and lights second hand can save you allot of money.

5. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome GBR

First, having your own custom tank build will cost a lot of money. Time is money, and they spend a couple of days building your tank and stand. So actually you are paying somebodies salary.

Anyway, look in the secondhand column. The For Sale section do have tanks and equipment coming in that is reasonable priced. The glassbox you can always replace later if it does have scratches, Or you can replace just the front panel. Depending on setup obviously. The skimmer is important. All other equipment can be upgraded as you go along. Getting old T5 light unit in the beginning, replacing that 6 months to a year later with LEDS, saves a lot on startup costs.

I got a 750L display. And it is a nice size.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. I would also look for a good 2nd hand bargain.

9. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Welcome to masa

10. MaximusZA

MaximusZA

Welcome!

I must agree with you, I am really keen to start a marine tank but the costs are excessive.

11. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

12. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

You could mention to those giving quotes that you are not looking at high-end equipment. These really put the price sky high, when u can do pretty much the same tasks with less expensive equipment.

Also, good husbandry would elliminate the need for automation on equipment which puts the price up.

A rimless tank also is more expensive if they are quoting on that as well.

I've just been through this same process and saving a lot in sourcing different products from different places. You just need the time to do some homework.

Hope this helps

Recent Posts