wanna get your blood boiling? Read this

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by leslie hempel, 19 May 2015.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. zippy

zippy

What can you do?

• Do not support the marine aquarium trade. If you have friends with marine aquariums or who collect for aquariums let them know, this is NOT COOL, not ayoba. This is wildlife trafficking. Even if you only claim to purchase from “responsible pet shops” you are still PART OF THE PROBLEM, these pet shops get their fish from somewhere.
    • If you see groups of people with “Buckets and nets” collecting along our coast, let them know what you think. Enough people showing their dissatisfaction, letting them know they are not welcome here, they will eventually stop coming.
    • Be extra alert around Sheffield Beach and Chaka’s Rock, these two areas are most frequented by aquarium collectors. Report any incidents to Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife on 082-5592847 or contact us on and we will try get the right people mobilized.
    • Do NOT support pet stores that sell marine fish or products.
    • Put pressure on local authorities to enforce the laws around illegal collecting along our coast, Sadly, this is the core of the problem.

4. zippy

zippy

maybe we should call.

5. zippy

zippy

surely the sponsors would kick up a storm?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No wonder the author did not put his name on that article. Its written with such a bias view.

I got a permit
    I collect what I can keep alive - long term.

My viewpoint, make anything illegal and you just push up the market price.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  8. JayM

JayM

Its a very biased article , but my biggest grip is that there are far more important issues , such as people fishing and not sticking to bag limits , catching undersized fish and crayfish. and fishing during banned periods.

Surely this has a greater impact than marine collecting as the amount of fisherman is alot larger vs marine collectors.

This is just my personal opinion on the matter.

9. Jason

Jason

I see some big fights coming.

I was in Lambertsbaai 7 years back just as the season opened up for crayfish collecting and there was a bunch of people who gathered in the parking lot at the beach waiting for divers/collectors to surface and return with the crayfish. They all got angry and upset with the divers the old ladies starting hitting the divers as they killing what God made and the one diving still said that this is food God gave us, anyway long story short it was all a biased article published in the local paper that caused this outrage and some of those old ladies were arrested on the spot

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

11. Jason

Jason

Yes im also a little against keeping dolphins and big mammals in tanks like these but there are 1 000 000 times more being killed by fishing strollers..

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

funny, almost all the posts are by one lady
    Prathna Singh

13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Last edited: 19 May 2015
  14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

All my views on that article involve words that I can't say in front of my mother

r0ckf1re and Fuzzy like this.
  15. reefer101

reefer101 Archangel

I go the sheffield and chakas rock every week to collect water! I'm waiting to see who tells anything. One thing for sure I will be charged for assault

Last edited: 19 May 2015
  16. Jason

Jason

Or hit them with a 25l jerry can and get charged with Assualt with intent to do great bodily harm"

17. Bobby85

Bobby85

Since When is it illegal to collect in tidal pools Man made, like Chakas rock? provided you have all the correct and up to date license and take specimens that you are going to keep. I have collected all my fish but one and have had one jump out the tank ( the only death ). and I don't believe that the fish are unhappy or any cruelty towards them.This article is such bull shit.

18. Jscholtz014

Jscholtz014 Busy planning my 500 Litre. 1100×600×800

A least when we collect our fish we know they will be safe

19. Mozzie

Mozzie

Aslong as there are permits available I will collect anywhere that is legal. I purchase a permit to acknowledge that I respect and abide by the law, In doing so I am also saying I have conservation at heart.
    They can kiss my @#£ and untill I break the law I reserve the right to utilise the current laws set by the authorities that be.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2016
  20. Mozzie

Mozzie

Just contacted Ezemvelo kzn wild life.
    As far as they concerned the only place you may not collect is in MPA's, they did however say that if a local municipality has erected a MPA or has a bylaw regarding an area that should be respected but in the same light National legislation over rules any municipal by laws ( there words) .
    I then contacted the ballito municipality to establish if any bylaws have been passed that protect or inhibit marine collection in the area including tidal pools and the answer was NO.
    I also questioned the board that is placed at shakasrock tidal pool and there reply was " does the bored stipulate permit holder's may not collect in the tidal pool? " my answer was NO, there response was then nothing prohibits you from collecting if you are a legal permit holder.
    Funny enough the guy I chatted to collects himself and offerd me a lion fish :lol:.
    So what I've established is collect anywhere except MPA's and abide by the rules of the permit and you will be fine.
    The gent I chatted to in the municipality is Palven Viramadu and kzn wildlife was George 082 559 2855.
    Enjoy your collecting

21. Nico123

Nico123

It's becoming a big thing world wide, and I'm sort for it and against it. I think there are people that really kill of a lot of fish and corals and what ever because they have no idea what they are doing, ultimately if it will save the oceans of the world I will give up the hobby for the greater good.

linksar likes this.
Recent Posts